We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

I have only a day. I'd like to take the train from Nanjing to Suzhou, see the Humble Adminstrator's Garden, then see a water town, before taking an early evening train back to Nanjing. Is one more beautiful than the others Does anyone have advice on how to do it? I was planning to take a taxi form Suzhou to Zhouzhuang or Tongli, but someone mentioned a ferry(?) Any must-see places I am missing?

Thank you!

Humble Administrator's Garden
Historic Sites, Gardens, National Parks
The Lingering Garden
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Gardens
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

Hello lisaman...

I think tongli is closer than zhouzhuang

you can read my post in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297442-i10446-k65…

if you used taxi, it's faster

i spent 4 hours there, but i didn't enter the sex museum and just walking around (not using the boat)

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

Tongli is a 40-minute drive from Suzhou while Zhouzhuang is about 70 minutes away. Prefer Tongli as it is closer and also offers more to visit than Zhouzhuang. Taxi is advised.

For a day trip, one or two spots in Suzhou and a water town are enough. Try to finish the water town first , then back to suzhou for the spots so as to better catch the train to Nanjing.

You can see the Suzhou options here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g297442-Activiti…

Edited: 4:17 am, March 07, 2014
Suzhou, China
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

I suggest you go to Tongli.

Zhouzhuang is the first few water towns developed 20 years ago, it was so peaceful and beautiful those days. But now it is very commercialized, crowed, noisy. It seems everything has been changed.

So I recommend you go to Tongli. It is as beautiful as Zhouzhuang, but more quiet, hopefully you can experience the real local life there.

Wish you pleasant trip there.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

Tongli definitely. I also agree with the above advice to go first to Tongli then come back and do Humble Administrator's Garden which usually isn't quite as crowded in the afternoon...and isn't far from the Suzhou rail station.

5. Re: Zhouzhuang or Tongli?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 20, 2015