We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

My husband and are will be in Shanghai during the National Holiday that ends May 1st. We wish to go to Tongli on May 4th, a Saturday. Actually, that is the only day we can go (four people), as we are heading back to Beijing on the 5th.

At that point, we are visiting family working in Shanghai and will be staying at the Asset Hotel, which is at 690 Wanping Road, Xuhui District. Is there a train station nearby to this location that we could board a G train (fast train?) to Suzhou and then get the taxi to Tongli? When I look at the train guide, there are several Shanghai station options and there are also several options for getting off in Suzhou. We won't be staying in Suzhou but heading straight to Tongli. So which station would we be best to get off in Suzhou?

In a nutshell, where would we start the train, considering we are staying at the Asset, and where would we get off? I am trying to decide if it is worth hiring a private car and driver instead, which I am currently looking into at a price of 575 (Chinese money, sorry can't remember the exact wording now) per person.

Thanks

Cindy

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

That's very expensive for a hired car. You can get much cheaper, and not on a per person basis.

For train, you should use the Hongqiao Railway Station. You can access this station via subway (lines 2 or 10).

Edited: 12:26 pm, April 02, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Thanks. The cost is actually a tour price, includes admission and guide, etc. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Is there a stop in Suzhou best to get off train for taking a taxi to Tongli?

Thanks,

Cindy

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Suzhou North Railway Station.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Thanks! How long does it take for taxi to drive to Tongli? And are taxis big enough to take four? or would we need two taxis? I think I read taxi cost is about 90 RMB.

So...about 35-45 min. to Suzhou by train and then how much time by taxi to Tongli?

Cindy

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Several years ago I stayed at Asset Hotel and took the train to Suzhou. Back then I had to take the Metro to the Shanghai main train station and board the train to Suzhou there. After you walk out of the Suzhou main train station you can either take the bus or a taxi to Tongli. I paid about 100 RMB for the taxi ride to Tongli. I think it took less than 50 minutes to get there. The fare for the bus from Tongli back to the train station was less than 10 RMB and it was a pretty comfortable ride. It is better to take D or G train to Suzhou and you can get off at the main station. I don’t know where the North station is. You may ask the hotel to book the train tickets for you. There is a small service charge but it is worth it. The train stations in China are extremely crowded. Hope you have time to visit one of the gardens in Suzhou. Have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

First of all, don’t take any train to Suzhou North Railway Station or Suzhou Industrial Park Railway Station.

The best way is by train to Suzhou then Tongli.

You shall take D-train/G-train at the Shanghai Railway Station or the Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station. It almost the same distance from the Hotel. Please check the train schedule and select the departure railway station.

Once arriving Suzhou, at the north square of the railway station, there is a transprtaion hub with frequency bus to Tongi. In 2011.12, the bus fare is RMB8pp and the travelling is 45min.

The Tongli bus station besides a lake. By electric car (RMB2pp) or on foot to the ancient town (15min). Adm fee is RMB86pp (on-line booking).

I stayed at an nice inn with RMB120/night which beside a canal.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Thanks, patch168 and chinaloveland! Great information. I appreciate it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,378 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Admission fee is now 100RMB at the entrance.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

Thanks, Jean-Pierre.

10. Re: Trains from Shanghai to Suzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2014