We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Which Zhengzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Hi guys,

well we are VERY excited about our trip - and leaving for China on Saturday :-) !

However, we just had some bad news with our train tickets. We had a contact in Beijing try to buy them today from Beijing to Luoyang for the 4th. Today is the day they went on sale, a full 10 days before travel - and all sleepers (hard and soft) were sold out. I know - no suprise! I was kind of prepared for it because of all we had read previously.

But - oh joy - we managed to get two sleeper tickets from Beijing to Zhengzhou instead!

My question is -

we need to get from Zhengzhou station to Shaolin, and then on to Luoyang (where our hotel is booked, and we want to see the grottoes). Can anyone recommend a private driver that can do this trip?

Or would it be an easy trip to negotiate with a taxi driver when we arrive at the train station?

Alternatively - does anyone know if there is left luggage at Shaolin / Dengfeng, so that we take a public bus there, leave the bags for the day, and then head on to Luoyang in the evening.

Any help would be appreciated - last minute trip planning all adds to the excitement I suppose!

Em

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Hi ema,

I am now fretting about our trip two weeks from now. Imagine, the tickets went on sale and are immediately sold out! Were they sold out " the day before? " Which makes me suspicious that some tickets were presold basing on you know who and whom you know. Anyway, keep in touch. If I cannot get train tickets to xian, will just have to fly.

By the way, how much did you pay for the tickets to zhengzhou (including commission)?

I wil be following your thread!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Hi BWW -

I arranged the train tickets through the wonderful lady whose B&B we are staying at in BJ. She has been amazingly patient, trying both the trains to Luoyang we wanted, and 5 trains to Zhengzhou.

Both Luoyang trains were full with the exception of hard seat or standing tickets, neither of which were an option as far as I was concerned. The only overnight train to Zhengzhou we could get tickets on was the 1303.

The tickets were priced as per CNVOL, plus a 5y agency fee for the office she got them at. No other booking charge.

I don't know how they could all be sold out immediately - but she actually went to get the tickets yesterday, and they told her that they didn't go on sale until today (10 days before). It is a worry that they all disappeared, and I am really lucky we managed to get something.

Now I just need to work out how to get from Zhengzhou with my luggage and I'll be all set :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

just a crazy idea, but you could go direct to luoyang (where you have accomodations, I presume?) via the G train. I heard they are almost never full so you can get seats. From there you can do the longmen grottoes and shaolin. I am doing a tour group from luoyabng, my only group tour of my trip. I have not much of a choice since there is a dearth of information on the luoyang forum. It is like an orphaned child at the north pole.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

I did think about that BWW - but we arrive at Zhengzhou at 7.53, and the first train leaves at 8am. With the best will in the world we won't get that, and so would get the 9.30 (providing always there are seats!)

we'd have less time to see Shaolin though if we spend half the day getting to Luoyang and out again.

I'm thinking I might be best cancelling my (lovely) hotel in Luoyang, and staying in Zhengzhou for the night. Dump bags and head straight to Shaolin. We can then get the first train to Luoyang the next morning for the grottoes, and on to Xi'an. Oh what a pain.

Love the description of the Luoyang forum by the way!!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Sorry guys - just bumping to see if anyone knows of any left luggage facility at Shaolin (or Dengfeng bus station), which would solve my problem!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

i'll try too look from this end. its easier since I am not travelling.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Wow, I did a google search and it seems you have asked all the pertinent sites. One last possibility. Check into a hostel nearby- the cheapest one- just to use as a check-in luggage (and maybe wash face, sit/rest area) before leaving for your next trip.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Thanks BWW - you're a star.

Yep - as I wasn't having any luck here, I thought I'd try the 2 or 3 other places that might know about Dengfeng - but still no joy. It seems there is hardly any info on the web about the place.

The hostel is a great idea though - the cheapest room I can find is 60rmb a night for two. I can live with that as a fee to store our luggage!!

I hate the idea of backtracking, so that sounds much better. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

60 rmb- about 6 pounds or $10. A tad expensive for china but the price we pay for left luggage in other western airports. Plus you have the advantage to freshen up before going on the bus to luoyang. Keep posting and enjoy your trip!

shanghai
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Zhengzhou to Shaolin / Luoyang

Hi Ema. Luoyang is not a big city, so there are only 5 train heading to luoyang from beijing. Unfortunately there are no bullet trains or superfast trains to there. That is why you have limited choices. It is not surprising that they told you all the sleeper tickets are sold out because the train tickets may not be issued all out on the first day. They probably withheld some tickets.

It is quite convenient to travel to shaolin from zhengzhou. When you get off the train station. You can walk directly to the opposite bus station. There are buses traveling to shaolinsi. You can buy tickets from the ticketing office. Pls don't buy from someone outside the bus station.