We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

harbin ice and snow festival

Which Harbin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
harbin ice and snow festival

Hi forumers,

I am now in changchun and will be heading over to the ice and snow festival in harbin tomorrow. However, I was tols by our tour guide that the festival is not yet open at least until 31st dec. I am very disappointed having come all the way and bracing such weather from Jilin. Can fellow forumers confirm if this information is accurate. Are there no other options to enjoy this festival? Are there any official websites that can provide a much detailed information?

Thanks in advance?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Unfortunately, you are too early. It starts January 5th.

http://www.icefestivalharbin.com/

travelchinaguide.com/attraction/…ice_snow.htm

Edited: 7:21 am, December 23, 2013
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Thanks for the information. I am very disappointed with the local tour guide who knows best but to mislead about the festival. Is there a place where I can file my complains officially?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

>>"Is there a place where I can file my complains officially?"'

I don't know.

You should have done your research before leaving home.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

I feel the best research comes from a local harbin tour guide. But she choose to inform us just 1 day before going to harbin after 6 days in dalian, shenyang, changchun and jilin. Thank you very much Zhong for your help.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

You could have found this out by just using Google.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
111 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Hi

I think you can still see the Ice Festival, those magnificent structures don't appear overnight. You can even see people still finishing them up.

Here's some information I found:

Traditionally, the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival open in mid-December and last to the late February. But its official opening ceremony usually held on January 5th each year.

From Wikipedia: Officially, the festival starts January 5 and lasts one month. However the exhibits often open earlier and stay longer, weather permitting.

We are going to be in Harbin 29 December and I have posted here previously asking about certain dates. Scroll down a bit and see what others have said.

Have a great trip.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Actually, that's excellent advice from Dim-Sum-Mum in post #6, above.

I have a friend in Harbin, a native local person, and I phoned him this morning to ask whether one could still get a feel for things if arriving early. He said it was hit or miss and no promises could be given, but one could go out to the area where the exhibits will be and usually find some that were under construction.

Additionally, even without the snow and ice festival being ready, Harbin is an interesting place to see in Winter. It has some unique features which make it worthwhile. Consider going anyhow, since you are already so close. I particularly like the Russian cathedral architecture, and the Siberian tiger park.

Please note that I don't live there and have only visited a few times, so some of my information is second hand.

Edited: 8:27 pm, December 23, 2013
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,409 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Hi,

You should at least go to where the Ice Festival is located to see if you can visit it. As suggested above these structures just don't appear overnight, they take time to build. In the worst case scenario there are other ice structures in and around the city which you can see. Many of them can be seen on Zhongyang Daje, the main shopping area.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

Thank you all for the reply. I managed to pass by the site which is obviously under construction, thus not accessible. Though i have visited almost all other places, my greatest regrets are not able to see the magnificent festival (which is no 1 in tripadvisor recommendation). a painful lesson learnt, MUST conduct more homework rather than blatantly trusting a tour guide.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: harbin ice and snow festival

You are unlucky to miss this guide, i heard that tour guides there are not so good, poor English and knowledge.

The ice festival starts from Jan.5, and will be last one month. But you could still see some under construction ice building.

One suggestion, ask for information from big tour companies, not local angents or guides.