We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free and easy travel in Harbin

Singapore
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling to Harbin in early Dec for a free and easy holiday. Is Harbin generally safe for two female travellers, and are there any dos and don'ts we should take note of? Was also wondering if it is easy to get around Harbin, i.e. if we can move around on our own or if we should consider booking land tours.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Edited: 12:17 am, October 22, 2013
Harbin, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

To sn0wdust:

You are welcome! Welcome to Harbin in early Dec for a free and easy holiday:)

Shanghai, China
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi Harbin,

First thank you very much for your precise information. I lived in Shanghai and would love to visit Harbin early December. What places can you recommend that have snow by that time? I have never seen snow in my life so I want to go there early December because January is already too cold for me . I will stay there just for weekend so I want to plan my 2 days worth of my trip. Thank you again

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi,

You should be there now since there is plenty of snow. Consider the ski resorts way outside of town for your December visit. Also, note that December will be very, very cold too !

Shanghai, China
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

hi thank you very much for your reply :-)

Harbin, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

hi vanessa, welcome to harbin! it snows a lot today, and it will snow tomorrow as well, so harbin will be more beautiful with the snow. if you have free time in november, you can visit harbin on weenkends, spend 2 full days here, to see the highlights of harbin, such as the indoor ice festival, tiger park, sofia church, synagogue, central street, polar aquarium, etc. you can even make the snowman here by yourself. november is warmer than december and january, i wish you have a pleasant trip to harbin!

Shanghai, China
4 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi again ....I have another question and I hope you don't mind me asking. Can I used my mobile camera on snow this December? I have only my Samsung mobile. Does it work ? I'm afraid I cant take photos using my mobile :-(

Harbin, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi Vanessa, you can use your mobile camera in Harbin this December, that is no problem. To keep the camera working properly in winter here, some TA members already gave the good points here before. e.g.

1.Bringing and Keeping more extra fully charged battery in a warm place inside your clothes.

2. Watching out when moving from outdoors to indoors as condensation will form on (and inside) your camera. Take a ziplock or other sealable plastic bag with you and slip the camera into the bag when you go from cold to warm places (or vice versa). Give it half an hour or so to let the air in the bag adjust to the temperature before opening.

Hope this will be helpful to you. BTW, early December is a bit warmer than late December and January in Harbin, so your camera can work well here, that is no problem.

Shanghai, China
4 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi Harbin, Thank you again. I'm planning my trip now so far I'm looking for a place near by the airport. I'm excited to see your beautiful place. Keep warm :-)

Harbin, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

you are welcome:) i wish you have a nice trip to harbin!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Free and easy travel in Harbin

Hi Vanessa,

There is very little near the airport, I strongly advise that you stay downtown !