We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

We visited Harbin from 16 to 19 February 2012 with our two children aged 10 and 11. We travelled outside of the main ice festival dates (the official Ice Festival runs from 5 January to 5 February) and this has its advantages and disadvantages. We flew from Shenzhen airport with China Southern which we booked through Travelzen (HK$3637 adult, HK$3192 child). We took a taxi from the airport at Harbin to the Shangri-la (taxi 180RMB but could have negotiated lower) arriving at the hotel after about 45 minutes.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297433-d305…

One thing to note is that the taxi’s boot (the trunk if you are American) was not too large and we had to have one of our cases in the back of the taxi with us. If you are bringing a lot of winter clothing, this is something you should bear in mind.

Arriving early evening at the hotel, we ate in the hotel and then swam in the pool. The next day we walked along the river and our children enjoyed playing on the frozen river. The frozen river was quite a spectacle. In the late afternoon we went to Sun Island to see the Snow sculptures. Arriving so late in the afternoon, we were pretty much alone in the park.

(tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297433-d600…)

The next day, we went to Zhaolin Park to see the Ice Lanterns. However, the park was not open until 3pm and looking inside the park, it did not look all that large or impressive. The other snow and ice sites were much better value for money. We therefore walked down Zhongyan and Shang Zhi Streets to see the Russian architecture and visited Saint Sophia Cathedral.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297433-d494…

Zhongyan Street has more stately Russian architecture and you could be walking down any European high street. The buildings on Shang Zhi Street (and on some of the side streets ) are much more down to earth and to an extent more run down but have much more character. There are still a few wooden buildings and many brick terrace buildings in these areas, although it is hard to say how long these will survive with the redevelopment ongoing in the area.

We then walked back to the Shangri-la via the Harbin Flood Memorial and along the river banks seeing many people enjoying winter activities on the frozen river. After a quick break, we took a taxi to the Ice and Snow Festival spending about four hours at the festival.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297433-d185…

Visiting Harbin later in the season is a good idea to avoid the crowds. All the Snow and Ice Festival sites were uncrowded which was excellent for our kids (no queues for the ice slides!). Also, the temperature was a bit warmer than in January which made it a bit more bearable (still exceedingly cold though). However, the disadvantage is that some of the ice and snow sculptures are starting to show the signs of wear. However, on balance, we felt that it was worth visiting later.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

Thanks a lot Andy.

I read somewhere about getting them at New-100 Plaza/Metro.

Is a snow boots compulsory for December? Or thick wool socks with regular shoes be sufficient (at least for day 1)?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

Hi,

The New 100 is a largish department store. You can certainly buy warm clothing there. Indeed, that is where most of mine came from. Nothing is compulsory but I would certainly advise on wearing warm boots/shoes in Harbin, especially if you are not used to the intense cold. Aside from the boots I wore warm socks. Regular shoes may be OK for one day. That is if you arrive at the airport/rail station and go directly to your hotel and get yourself fitted out the following day. You can also buy suitable footwear at Wal Mart and there is a mall dedicated to footwear near Hongbo Square. If your hotel is near the Square it may be worth having a looka round. Incidentally, I paid about 200 yuan for mine.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

Andy,

If I cant find an appropriate boots before my travels, I'll know where to head to on first day upon check-in.

Thank you so much!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

Hi again,

The place I mentioned earlier near Hongbo Square is the Grand Shopping Centre (for footwear).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,984 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

what you need are shoes with non-slippery soles. Even sneakers are fine if you have good socks and don't spend all day outside.. In Canada where we have similar temperatures, most teenagers do not own any boots.

16. Re: Harbin February 2012 - Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 23, 2013