We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Which Sanya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Hi,

I am looking for some feedback on Sanya as a place for a week holidays (in August). I would appreciate any comments.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Prices - in the restaurant, shops, transportation -> can you give me some examples or compare it to some other country?

2. Are there any other attractions apart from beach?

3, Is the beach very crowded?

4. The water and beach, are they clean?

Thank you for your help :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,052 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Not cheap and better beaches in southeast Asia.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Terrible place if you have any other option. Prices are high for China, probably more expensive than any other SE Asian country. I don't think Hainan has many other attractions of interest for the non-Chinese visitor, certainly not better than non-beach options available elsewhere. Yes, beach can be crowded in places, not too bad in others, but the sand areas are not that big. So-so quality, water not too clear but not too dirty. Beaches are OK. Many people think the best in the area are at Yalong Bay where the major (expensive) resorts are. Otherwise, the more western beach areas out of central Sanya are probably quieter and cleaner than the ones near the downtown. Sanya is really catering to Russians these days.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Agree and recommend to use the search function. There was a long thread about this question.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Also, August carries fairly considerable risk of running into a typhoon or at least stormy in Hainan. I think for the money you can do better.

Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Thank u!

I am considering now Vietnam, Da Nang

Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Thank u for your answer!! Very useful!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

Vietnam central coast--DaNang, Hoi An area would be a much better choice! and lots of non-beach stuff to see/do in the area. And you'll get more for your money.

Edited: 12:33 pm, June 16, 2014
8. Re: Sanya, China - a good place for holidays??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2015