We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short escape from Hong Kong

Which Sanya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Or.
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Short escape from Hong Kong

My wife and I have two weeks set aside for a trip to Hong Kong from our home in Oregon. We plan to spend the first five days in Hong Kong and then get away for a few days of relaxation. Sanya looks like it might be what we're looking for. Would five days in Sanya be too many? I'm sure we'll enjoy the pool and beach time but we usually like to take in some of the surrounding sights as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The final two days of our trip will be spent back in Hong Kong before heading home.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

Without even wondering about the practical issues, I think you'd need to consider whether it's worth the time, cost and hassle of obtaining a China visa, when you're only going to spend a few days there.

Would suggest perhaps the Philippines or Indonesia, both are easy to fly from Hong Kong.

Portland, Or.
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

I wasn't aware that a visa was required. That would definitely have an impact on our choice.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

I'm surprised you don't already know. The new visa application woes have been a common topic on China-related travel forums since a few months ago. Read www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa… for more updated information.

Portland, Or.
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

I didn't start planning any of this until last week. My wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary in November. We've always wanted to see Hong Kong but didn't want to spend the entire two weeks there. I thought we could find someplace close, which would enable us to return home from Hong Kong. I guess we'll have to go to plan "B".

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

I guess the visa requirement will be loosen by November after the Olympic, but you still need to get a visa to enter China.

However, IMHO Sanya is not a good choice, it is only “beach resort” and the island has not much to offer, unless you are happy to stay inside a resort for the entire trip.

Places like Phuket, Cebu, Kota Kinabalu gives you a chance to explore their culture and local food, etc. as well as sightseeing.

www.amextravel.com.hk/package/pkg1.asp?lang=1

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

Regardless of the new visa woes though, I thought it would've been common sense to read up on the entry requirements for wherever you plan to travel too...!

Portland, Or.
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

Ellyse is right. I should have checked on entry requirements in my initial planning. I'll be sure and do that from now on.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

Hi there,

Welcome to Asia. I have lived in Taiwan and China for the last 15 years.

I have been to Hong Kong more times than I can remember(visa trip,fly back to UK etc) and it is an amazing city to see. First of all, have you checked the attractions you want to see in Hong Kong? Have you calculated how many days you will need?

Victoria Peaks is the highlight,The star ferry across to Hong Kong island, maybe the golden buddha(not far from airport) on Lantau island, shopping and wandering around the streets.Does this need 7 days? 5 and then 2. Also lose of time traveling. Also will you go in the summer? Coming from Oregon you are probably used to fresh air. Hong Kong and South East Asia is a very humid place and coming here in summer will be a very sticky experience.

At the moment it is possible to get a visa for China but they are only issueing 1 month visas and you can get that in one day in Hong Kong. There is a visa office when you come out of customs at Hong Kong airport(look directly in front of you left of Burger King).There are probably lots of places in Hong Kong that can apply for you. Probably the hotel you stay at can do it and if you have one already maybe you can ask them before you go.This way you book into your hotel and they apply in one day while you are enjoying the sites of Hong Kong.

If you cut down your time in Hong Kong one suggestion you could do is Hong Kong 3 days. Fly to Gui Lin early Am.Have afternoon around the river there and stay one night.Leave early and take boat to Yangshou. This is amazing and so is Yangshou.2 days in Yangshou and then drive back to Gui lin and catch plane to Sanya, Hai Nan. YaLong Bay is a very nice beach with all the 5 star hotels.If no budget Marriot or Hilton. The reason I say this is that on the very far left of the beach is a navel base. The further away from that the better.If you are on a budget. Dadong Hai beach is also nice and hotels are cheaper. Can always take taxi to the other beach. They run all day long aswell.

Or Taiwan is still a hidden secret on the travel map. The central cross island freeway to Taroko Gorge is one of the best roads I have ever traveled on. My parents couldn't understand how this place isn't one of the natural wonders of the world.

Or if you will never come to Asia again(which would be stupid) Fly to Siem Reap, Cambodia and visit Angkor Wat for 4 or 5 days(including travel time).

If you are planning to come again I'll be opening my guest house in Sihanoukville Cambodia by 2011.

If you need help I still have the phone number of the travel guide in Gui Lin. I could call him and ask him how much this would cost and if he can put you on the boat. I speak Chinese so not a problem for me. If you need help you can have my number as an emergency contact in China.

Regards

Michael

Hong Kong
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

I live in HK and have many visitors with recent visa issues.It will be cheaper for you to get a China Visa in your home country. At the moment you need hotel/flight confirmations for the China Visa but just double check with your nearest Chinese Consulate.

We live in HK and have taken a short break to Sanya.

Sanya would be a great choice for a a short trip. Maybe 3/4 days max would be enough in Sanya. From Hong Kong the flight is only 1.5 hours away. If going to Sanya stay in Yalong Bay area.

Also it may be worth while checking out Cathay Pacific HK site for hotels in Sanya, as they have special rates for visitors. The Ritz Carlton has just recently opened in Yalong Bay and there are good opening rates. For flights checkout dragonair which is part of Cathay Pacific. They fly direct from HK to Sanya and flights aren't that expensive. Sometimes it is cheaper to get a package however we did it separately as this was cheaper. If you want a HK travel agent to do this for you check out http://www.amextravel.com.hk/. They may be able to help with the visa.

Another option would be Cebu in the Phillipines again it is close to HK however it does not have a natural beach but most resorts have beach area. Good hotel here is Shangri La Mactan Island. This is a real beach holiday and you don't leave your hotel resort as there isn't much to do in the surrounding area. If you want to stay in your hotel resort relaxing then this would be ideal.

I hope this helps.

10. Re: Short escape from Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 29, 2009