We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa requirements - Degree or not

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Visa requirements - Degree or not

I have a contract of employment with an International school in China. Do I need a bachelors degree (eg. BA) for the Chinese Govt. to issue me with a work visa?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,676 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

For a "Z" (working) visa you do require a degree of any sort and we are know told that from September all English teachers will require TEFL certification as well. As an International school teacher you will also require teacher registration from NZ (which I assume you have to have got the job). Your school should sort all this out for you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,676 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

sorry - slip of the one remaining brain cell .."We are NOW told..."

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

Thank you Zhuhai.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
625 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

My daughter is teaching in China now. She got her TEFL after teaching there six months but already had a bachelors with a major in Education.

I don't doubt that China will now be requiring the TEFL first but what she really should have had were classes in teaching large groups of children and Chinese language classes. She teaches English to classes of 50 students each in grades 1-5. Her kindergarten classes are smaller with only 36 students and she even has an aide in them but the kids are as young as four years old. She sees roughly 1,000 children a week and no class more than once a week. Make sure you know all the details before you go.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

My daughter was teaching english until last December. She has 2 years of university in management and did her TESL over 4 week-ends before going. Most of the time they just want you to be a native english speaker. Actually her first language is french but she did one year of high school in the US. They need expertise of all kinds badly and are very flexible when it comes to english teachers.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

"Most of the time they just want you to be a native english speaker."

I think some places are keener on you LOOKING Western, never mind whether you're actually a native English speaker.

7. Re: Visa requirements - Degree or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 22, 2009