We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Car Rental

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Self Drive Car Rental

Hi Forumers,

Anyone successfully manage to rent car for self diving in hainan without China Driving License?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,655 posts
824 reviews
1. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

You cannot drive a car in China without a Chinese driver's license. And nobody will rent you a car or even lend you one if you don't have a license. The penalty is not a ticket but confiscation of the car.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

You will need to hire a car and driver.

There is no other way around it. Even if you could go self drive you would not want too. Maps are not good and other drivers a night mare.

If you could drive your self you would arrive looking like a white haired 90 year old grandfather with teethmarks on the steering wheel ;)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,655 posts
824 reviews
3. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

Annie - I am studying for my Chinese driver's license. Do I need to take "before and after" photos of me??

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

JP, I would trust you with my life as you know the secret road rules;)

I think BePu posted this before but it is so funny (and true) …blogspot.com/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson…

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,655 posts
824 reviews
5. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

There are also some interesting (or scary) videos on youtube. Just search driving in China

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought the traffic in Hainan is much better than any other chinese city. I was also quite skeptical when I call up two car rental in Hainan and they told me they have no problem renting the car to me even thou i dont have chinese driving license. Just told me IDP will do.

Melaka
3 posts
7. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

Don't listen to the others. Rental in China is now a well developed industry. Look up the sites in Chinese.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,668 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

Tell us which car rental company in China offer rental cars to people without a Chinese licence.

Note step #1 on Avis China website

http://www.avischina.com/english/guide6.shtml

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,668 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

And in Chinese. IDP is not recognized in China.

四、 外籍人士

租车人需提供:

1)本人中国有效驾驶证(必须) <========

2)本人有效居住证(在中国居住者)

3)本人有效护照(必须)

4)本人国际/国内信用卡(必须)

10. Re: Self Drive Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 14, 2010