We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

What is it like during CNY in Zhuhai? Will it be a bad idea to go there on that period? Im currently residing in HK and I just want to go somewhere during the long break. Also thinking of spending 3 days 2 nights there. Will that be too long of a trip?

Thank you in advance! :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

You can take a ship from Hong Kong to Zhuhai. It is around 200 HK$ and takes an hour. It is good to travel to a city near your city during Chinese New Year, because you will not suffer on your way to the city.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Zhuhai should not be terribly crowded during CNY, but there's not an awful lot to do for three days.

Eat excellent and reasonably priced seafood, get a haircut, get a massage. Walk by the ocean.

Edited: 4:43 am, January 08, 2014
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Got those. But will most shops be closed at this time?

Maybe i should limit it to 2 days then.

Thank you for your replies! :)

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

>>"But will most shops be closed at this time?"

Though I've lived in Zhuhai twice, a couple years apart, and visited on many other occasions, I've never actually spent Spring Festival there. So, instead of guessing at an answer to your question, I think I'd better leave it to someone else who knows firsthand.

I've always been impressed that Zhuhai is a very pleasant place to spend a few relaxed days even though it has precious few first rate "tourist sights" as such. Macau, on the other hand, will probably be hopping during CNY.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Thank you ZhongguoKM for the replies. Im actually looking for a relaxing time that's why I chose Zhuhai.

I have one more question by the way, among these three hotels, which one is recommended? Location wise I guess (i.e. near ferry terminal from HK, sights nearby and have more choices of food places haha).

1) Zhuhai Leisure Hotel

70 Kangning Road, Zhuhai

2) Holiday Inn Zhuhai

No.188 Jingshan Road, Jida, Zhuhai

3) Kingdo Hotel

No.1062 Yuehai East Road, Gongbei, Zhuhai

Again, thank you for replying :)

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

I've stayed at two of those three, and will confine my comments to those two.

Kingdo is right in the heart of Gongbei. It's a cozy place, good value for the money and has a friendly staff. Rooms are on the small side. Very convenient to many restaurants and large, popular massage venues. It's near the land crossing to Macau, not near the port where the ferry from Hong Kong docks. Doesn't really matter, since it's only a short taxi or bus ride away.

Holiday Inn is in Jida, closer to the port you inquired about (Jiuzhou.) Also a good neighborhood for dining, though not as great for just strolling around. Rooms here are very big and the hotel is well maintained. Costs about twice as much as Kingdo and has more of a "foreigner feel," by which I mean you will see more Westerners and find more English spoken.

May boil down to pros and cons of Gongbei vs. Jida.

In Gongbei I really like the informal outdoor dining places (大排档) where you can get cheap live seafood from tanks. Even in winter these places are active and offer a great taste of local life. You will need some Mandarin or Cantonese to order easily, though it can be done by just pointing.

Gongbei also has more large legitimate massage establishments where one can easily spend an afternoon doing "Spa" things and getting pampered. They cater to people coming from Hong Kong and Macau, and prices are really a bargain.

Jida is more upscale, and if you are intent on shopping, it arguably offers more opportunities along those lines.

The waterfront can be approached from both Gongbei and Jida, though it is closer to the Kingdo than to the Holiday Inn.

I'm sure you will get more replies in a day or two. Some of the Destination Experts for this area know more than I do, and you should wait for their input before making final plans.

Edited: 11:11 pm, January 08, 2014
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,985 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Just about every closes on Chinese new year's day.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Will the restaurants be also closed on 1st or 2nd of February?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

#8 -- No, most restaurants will be open. The exception will be a few which close for a week or two while their owners return to distant parts of China for the New Year.

You will find plenty of interesting places at which to eat during that time.

Edited: 10:07 pm, January 22, 2014
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zhuhai in Chinese New Year

Thank you for the replies :)