We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Shenzhen

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Shenzhen

Where can I buy quality bags, shoes & clothes in Shenzhen?

Is it cheaper than buying in HongKong?

How about buying mobile phone? Can it be used in Singapore after purchased in HK?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi there,

I don't know if it's any interest to you... yesterday, the news reported that the satisfaction from shopping in Shenzhen compared to HK has dropped significantly. Simply b/c, everything one buys from Shenzhen, usually doesn't last very long. So long as you don't expect the item to last more than 3 months, you're ok to shop there.

Quality- I see this word.... shop in HK. Cheap or not. Most people go to Shenzhen to buy name brand replicas. But, these don't last long, and the word quality cannot be used. Just for fun, and until you 're bored of the item. LIke handbags, and watches, and wallets and shoes.... 3 months.... usually the lifetime of the items. I do have one bag that lasted for 1 year until the zipper finally fell off.

Mobile Phone- Yes, you can buy it in HK, just buy the ones that are Tri-bands (GSM), it basically can go anywhere except Japan.

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Really?! it sounds useful for me to know this news, so i can budget myself not to spend so much in Shenzhen and spend more on quality items in HK...

Thanks for your frank advice, no point buying if the quality is really so bad as described in Shenzhen as i don't wish to regret carrying them back to SG to found out that the quality is way below the standard...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Nevertheless, it's definitely a unique experience to even just LOOK in Shenzhen. It's amazing how those salespeople try to make a sale. If you do go, just bargain with them like this.... if they say $100, you tell them $ 30. They will say no, then you walk away, they will say "how much how much?" tell them $ 30... they will counter offer with something.... and then you work from there.

It's hard to resist..... a handbag sometimes for $ 5 US.... who cares if it breaks in 3 months ? That's what I am saying.

But for longlasting, and REAL authentic things, buy in HK.

Be careful in Shenzhen, don't talk to strangers. There is NO reason for anyone to approach you.

Have fun!

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi Katetam

U mean i can actually bargain until so low and they'll still sell?

oh my, must brush up on my bargaining power on these...

i can't resist cheap & nice bags too...can't wait to fly there now...

do u mean those strangers will approach tourist out of the blue?

seems dangerous....

any advice on how to avoid being victims of thefts?

thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi Ryuichi,

Yes, you really need to be good at bargaining. I personally is not the best, but I have seen my friends do it. She got a gucci replica, really nice one, from $ 250 down to .... guess how much? $ 50.00 HKD. Amazing!!! She still wears it after 2 years.... but some of the ones I got, broke down in 3 months.

Handbags of the latest trends are also quite cheap, and just for fun.... $100 HK to $ 300 for the really good one.

Regarding strangers approaching you... YES, all the time. There are all sorts of things and horror stories, but I don't want to scare you to death about it. Just be extra aware and be smart when you exit the train station out of Shenzhen to shop in Lo Wu SHopping center, I recommend that's where you should just stay if you are female, and not famliar with Shenzhen.

General rule- just DON'T let anyone come near you or talk to you, walk right past people who approach you.

We have seen things like, a big pile of US dollar notes gets thrown in front of me as I am walking out of the train station .... and this guy comes up and says to me after he picks it up, and says, come with me, want to split this?

Or, I have this luggage that is like like the hand carry size for planes.. you know the small ones, out of now where, this young teenage girl picks up my luggage from behind! I was so shocked, and then she started carrying it for me into the train station.... I screamed at her to put it down, she wouldn't at first, still carrying my bag, then finally I had to hit her arms. She let go of my luggage, then she blocked my way and asked me to give her some money for her troubles. Luckily, I was with my husband, he told her to get lost.

I will never forget these things.....

Just be careful, Shenzhen CAN be fun., There were times that nothing happened to us and had a wonderful day.

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi Kateman,

oh Really! that's really incredible to bargain to such a low price!

i'm aiming to buy gucci & LV wallets/bags at HK or shenzhen, whichever i can find the design i like...

Thanks for your sound advice on the range of the prices they are selling...it's really a good guide for me being my first visit.

oh dear, it sounds so dangerous for a gal like me to travel with my old mum to shenzhen, we'll be extremely careful and guard against the stangers. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Ryu

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

You're welcome Ryuichi. Don't over worry..... just dress LOW-Key, and no flashing around your sparkling jewellery and watch..... and wear your handbags in front of you. Just stay in the Lo Wu shopping center that is just righ outisde the Train Station you will be ok. The restaurants in the top floors are pretty good for a rest and food is cheap there. We ate there many times, and good experience.

You will spend at least 4-5 hours in the shopping complex, and don't buy right away, go to the top floors, the higher you go, the more you can bargain b/c most shoppers already get stopped and stuck in one store the moment they enter the complex.

Work your way DOWNWARDS from the complex.

Gucci is easily found, LV, need to look more careful for better quality, and Coach is excellent too.

Have fun.

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi Katetam!

Thanks for your advice on attire, we will not over-dress to get attention unnecessarily during our trip, but i'm pretty worried on our cash though as we only managed to convert our Sing dollars to big HK dollar notes, i.e. in thousand dollar. we are unable to change into smaller notes like 100 dollar note etc..

oh my, i can't wait to buy lotsa handbags for myself and friends' gifts...seems so hard to believe that it'll be so cheap but guess i'll have to spot for those which looks very much like a real one by visiting one shop after another...

Is there any shops in Lo Wu shopping centre you would recommend me to go for these bags since you have been there many times?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi Ryuichi,

First of all, I recommend that you exchange some bills into smaller ones once you get to HK. B/c you don't want to be always flashing your $1000 HKD Bill around, AND you don't want a lot of change from the stores in Lo Wu b/c I have heard of stories like, the change they gave back contained some counterfeit money, and some will say to you, they don't have that much HK dollars, so they want to give you back change in RMB. (China money). So, you don't want to get yourself into that kind of situation.

One good way to get more bargains is this:

They say $ 130.00 for a handbag, you say to them $ 60.00 HKD. They will say NO WAY. Then you can say, ok, $ 70.00 that's it. They will say no no. How about $ 100.00 then you just take out $ 70.00 and dig around your wallet... and then you said, that' all the change you have. Turn around, start leaving.... they will chase after you to tell you, OK OK.

That's why you want small change. If you take out $ 1000, they will tell you they have no change, and talk you into buying $ 1000 worth of things.

Regarding which store I go to, don't bother remembering b/c the stores move around like crazy. Always a different place and different merchandise .... so the best advice is LOOK and DON'T buy right away.... look for the TOP quality ones.

For example, look at the leather, the logos, the stitching is the really difficult one to get good quality... and the zippers... try the zipper like a few times to make sure it works.

Last advice, NEVER go anywhere with anyone who says "want to see good stuff? Come with me.... etc." Only walk into stores.

Don't know if you are interested, get BEDDING sets there... their duvet covers, bed sheet, pillow cases (2).... Sateen quality.... washes wonderful ! Only $ 250.00 HKD for the whole set for Queen size. So beautiful.

Havae fun, and buy lots!

singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Shenzhen

Hi, I would like to buy dvds. Are there HK movies dvd in Shenzhen? and where can I find them? Are they cheaper than in HK?

also I am interested to buy those swordfighting serials from china or taiwan in DVD. I saw those in Hk but not sure whether it is cheaper in Shen Zhen.

So if I want to buy Handphone, buy in HK, is that it?

I also intend to buy a very small portable dvd player. Any advise as where I can find them?

Is it advisable to buy electric goods generally?

Is it advisable to buy bird nest in Shen Zhen?

Hope to hear some feedback and advise.

Thanks