We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus Elder Card

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Octopus Elder Card

Hi Everyone,

Can a Hong Kong Elder Octopus Card be used in Shenzhen? If not, what are the options for travel cards for seniors visiting Shenzhen.

Thanks

John

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus Elder Card

No, Shenzhen is in a totally different country - Mainland China. Just like you can't use your MYKI in Auckland or even Sydney!!

There is a similar card in SZ, but I don't know if they do a senior version.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus Elder Card

Hi Zhuhai,

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find out something about the SZ card somewhere.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus Elder Card

I looked at the MTR Journey Planner, which covers both Hong Kong and Shenzhen metro. It doesn't seem like they offer fare concessions to seniors in Shenzhen (or else the concession fares should be listed, like they do in Hong Kong MTR).

www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/flash_eng/index.php

I have also read that they are working on incoporating Shenzhentong and Octopus Cards into one card. Supposed to be introduced by end of 2012. But I don't know what's come out of that.

shenzhen-standard.com/2012/…

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus Elder Card

Hi HappyFeet1234,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find any seniors concessions in Shenzhen either. I think the Shenzhentong/Hong Kong Octopus Card is now available. I think if your a senior and going to both Hong Kong and Shenzhen you're better off with the Octopus Elder Card in Hong Kong and the Shenzhen Tong Card in Shenzhen. That's how I read it anyway. You have to buy the new combined card $98.00 and then load the individual currencies on the card.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus Elder Card

If they are good to go, then I think you can still use the Elder Octopus Card in Shenzhen. They will deduct the fare just the same. Only that they don't have a senior consession discount. And thus no need to carry 2 cards.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Octopus Elder Card

That'd be ideal if that's the case but I'm not sure if they'll accept the Octopus Elder card in Shenzhen. It sort of defeats the purpose of the new card. I don't know how to find out if they accept the Octopus Elder card in Shenzhen.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octopus Elder Card

Afaik Chinese seniors get free transport anyway (at least on buses) so they don't need a special senior card! Also the Metro fares are so cheap ....

8. Re: Octopus Elder Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 30, 2014