We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Visiting Shenzhen for the day from HK and would like to buy some cheap oil paintings.

Heard abt Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen few years ago but not sure if it is still in existence = is it still around and is it worth making trip there to buy stuff?

Would the shops there be open daily and what are the opening hours like ?

Any bus we can take to get there from Luohu?

Many thanks

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Thanks a lot.

We are thinking to buy the paintings with frames and asking them to pack it nicely so we can bring back to HK and check in as part of luggage.

We are looking to buy fairly large paintings of 90in by 60in which will not fit into suitcases

I;d like to buy the paintings all framed up as it is expensive to frame them back home - but I am worried the shop may not be able to pack the framed paintings well enough for checked in luggage.

Any advice ?

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

I'm not sure about framing but certainly observed that the vast majority of the paintings on display were stretched on canvas. I bought mine just the canvas, and purchased a large plastic art tube from a stationers in HK to check it through in. That worked really well. You want the opposite to me, I didn't want check through bulk, but this is China, so I'm sure that if you want to pay for a frame they can frame it!

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Thanks a lot for the great advice

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Have you checked with the airline already? I would assume this may get more expensive than framing at home.

For sure you get everything framed there. In Dafen you will find varrious shops that do nothing else than framing.

There are shops for packaging material as well and I am sure you will be able to get a proper packaging as they also offer to ship paintings.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Thanks - as long as I keep within my luggage allowance, there is no extra charges for checking in the paintings - so that;s OK

It;s easier and cheaper to buy paintings that are framed

Just need to be sure they are well packed and I will ask airline staff to label as fragile dur checkin - have checked in stuff before that are fragile and so far, as long as well packed, they arrive OK,

Of course there is some risk, cos airline will not compensate if anything broken so we pack it with many layers and bubble wrap

Germany
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Hi,

does anyone know of chinese cloisonne paintings? Are they expensive?I have seen beautiful pieces with chinese motives but rather expensive.

Thanks for the advice,

shakun

Germany
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Hi,

does anyone know of chinese cloisonne paintings? Are they expensive?I have seen beautiful pieces with chinese motives but rather expensive.

Thanks for the advice,

shakun

shenzhen
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

you can buy some cheap oil painting at internet, http://www.artreprodafen.com good site pour buy at internet!

shenzhen
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

Dafen is a lovely little village where everyt shop on every shop on every little street is a studio or an art shop.In this village,the emphasis is on reproduction of famous western masters or painting that borrow styples from these masters.You can find original art.A few shops belong to origial artists who paint scene from Chinese or tribal villages throughout China or who paint huge Chinese landscapes.These are much more expensive than the reproductions.Dafen is a very compact are and will take you 30 minutes to visit.

A taxi will take about 20 to 30 minutes but don't even try it during rush about.Bus 306 will get you there in an hour.Show the address to the bus driver.

Edited: 12:26 pm, September 18, 2012
20. Re: Dafen Painting Village, Shenzhen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013