We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Hello

Am planning on going to Shenzhen for the day in August. I have read on the internet that the shopping in Dongmen is really great and only a couple of stops on the mtr past lo wui.

Could someone please let me know if it is worth going to Dongmen or is it all the same things for sale in Lo Wu.

Thank you kindly

jacob0604

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,702 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

These are totally different places. Lowu is an indoor market as you often see in China selling a mix of generally lower quality goods and fakes. At Dongmen it is more like an outdoor shopping mall with regular stores and generally no need to bargain.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,602 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Dongmen is where the locals shop plus there are a couple of good curtain markets (for fabric & making). Louhu Commercial City is for bargain hunters - eg handbags, jewellry (esp pearls), sporting goods, DVDs, children's clothes, toys, fabric & tailors plus poor quality knock off electronics.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Thank you JPDeM & zhuhai2007 for taking the time to reply.

I think I might just stick to Louhu as I hate to say it but am after those things zhuhai2007 mentioned!

If Dongmen has regular stores no doubt I can just do that kind of shopping in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Yep, go for Luohu Comercial City for fakes stuff and heavy bargaining.

Go for Dongmen for a nice shopping and strolling experience. Locals buy cheap here and prices are more or less fixed, more or less... Crocs for RMB25 can be found here, may be not all original? ;-)

Also gifts, Chinese craft and tea can be bought here.

Well, Dongmen is may be for people staying longer or second time in SZ. Most of the people found it nice and exciting while many for shocked by the style of Luohu CC. But is still the first adventure for most visitors looking for cheap stuff and the bags are usually bigher than the ones of the peole who visited Dongmen

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,702 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Personally I find Lowu quite annoying.

singapore
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

yup, Luohu Comercial City are quite annoying. They jack up their price very high then let u lower bit by bit. i still prefer shopping in Dongmen area, lots of nice food around too. i dun really bargain alot, once we think price is fair enough we'll deal with them.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

I guess jacob will get what he wants at Luoho Commercial City. You can get good deals there, but it is for sure not a relaxing shopping atmosphere.

@jacob:

Well, you cannot do the Dongmen shopping in Hong Kong. It is different. Not easy to describe, but I do not know any place in HK that is like Dongmen. There a "regular" shops, but not as you might think of. In Dongmen the sales force is less aggressive and it is not all fake there, but still on the cheaper side. Majority is cloth, but you will find centers full of traditional Chineses stuff. You also find tea dealers where you can have a good tea tasting. But there is a good tea trading center in walking distance from Luohu that is muchg cheaper, by the way. In Dongemen some stuff is may be fake or why are the Croc shoes RMB25? In Luoho Com. City they would offer them for RMB250, secons price 90 and you have to get them down to 25. DVDs are much better to buy in Dongmen, down near the MTR station, huge shop with DVDs, good quality and cheap. Manicure and Pedicurte you can get in both place, usually little cheaper in Dongmen (from 10RMB). More massage places are in Luoho Commercial City.

Both places may not be the best for electronics, but for game consoles and accessories, Dongmen is again better.

Anyway, if you want to have the fun to bargain and get mainly fake branded stuff, still Luohu Commercial City might be first choice. Also easier to get an overview on one day.

It depends on what you need to buy!

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Hi everyone

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such great detail ... very much appreciated!

After reading all the comments I think I will go to Lo Wu and if I have time (or the energy!) go to Dongmen.

I'm sure I will find shopping at Lo Wu annoying too but it is my first time and hopefully I will get some bargains.

Thank you cookie2011 for the tip about dvds and mani & pedis (you must have read my mind!)

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

I'm have half a day in Shenzhen next week, am planning to do some shopping.

I'm looking for girly stuff like clothes, accessories, hair accessories, bags (not the designer knock offs) etc. Is Dongmen the place to go? Or do you guys have other recommendations?

By the way, do you also know what time the shops usually open there?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Dongmen or Lo Wu, Shenzhen?

Been to both last trip (Feb 2012), both are great shopping places but i personally would prefer Dongmen due to pricing and more relaxing, Luohu sales staff are a bit too aggressive. Both places sells almost the same things, eg, clothes, woman accessories, electronic/phone accessories, etc,etc. If you have a full day, its possible to cover both place, morning Luohu (4-5 hours) till 3-4pm then got to Dongmen (open till 10pm) not too hot during evening especially in summer.

If you are 1st time to Shenzhen and only have few hours, just stick to Luohu as its nearer to HK border.

Edited: 11:20 am, May 17, 2012