We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
2 posts
Save Topic
which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

hi

i hope someone can help me

I am travelling to Shen Zhen soon and cannot decide on the best Hotel to stay in for 3 days.

Shangrila at Louhu - i heard that the area is a bit dodgy and not that safe for a female on her own.

Crowne Plaza near windows of the world - safe, but is it too hard to get to louhu to shop. is it walking distance to the train. apparently it is opposite windows of the world - but how far is the station away.

I have checked out the metro train system which looks good. is this okay to travel on alone.

i would appreciate any help

thanks

d

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

howdoi,

The Shangri La is a lovely hotel and directly across the road from Lowu - you couldn't be closer. Quite relevant because you'll probably be carrying a lot when you leave. I wouldn't advise a female to walk around by herself after dark - but that's true of a lot of places and I would think you wouldn't be too worried in daylight as long as you take normal precautions against pickpockets. Maybe stay at Crowne Plaza while you check out WotW and the S-L for Lowu.

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

If money is no object, try the new Intercontinental Hotel. It's a gorgeous Spanish themed hotel with a decent night club and I hear good food. It's across the street from the Hua Qiao Chang station A, I think the C or D exit is right in front, and that can take you to places like Hua Qiang Lu, a good electronics shopping area or to the Guomao station which is a short walk from Dongmen. The metro is only a few RMB (~USD 50 cents) and you can taxi to Lu Hu from there.

OCT where the Crown Plaza is located along with the Intercontinental is a parklike setting and a nice median point if you also plan to go bar hopping in Shekou where you can indulge in the expat experience.

I stay at the Seaview hotel all the time when I am in Shenzhen as I find it a nice place to be, and it was close to the factory CEO's house. OCT's an upscale area. There is a good western restaurant in the Seaview with a killer breakfast buffet, and the dinner is mostly good.

Definitely try the Mongolian restaurant to the right down the street (i.e. away from WoW). Just look for the Yurt tents out front. They have good music there too.

And the Metro is the cleanest I've ever seen and probably the safest way to get around Shenzhen if it's a convenient station you need. I travel alone on it all the time and have never had a problem even late at night. You definitely get some looks from people if you are white, but it's fun. I always get a giggle speaking my little knowledge of Chinese with children, pretend to not understand, let them make fun of me and giggle, then I say in Chinese, "why are you laughing?" They usually get all embarrassed, and I walk away with a smile and a wave. It's my favorite, does he speak Chinese or not moment.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

Hey d,

I hope you may read this before you leave :). Your question regarding how far the metro station is from Crowne Plaza seemed unanswered. Yes, the Windows of the World is right across the very wide road and intersection from the hotel and the station entrance is right outside the front of W of the W. It is the last stop on the line so the trip to LouHu will also be the last stop. I think it takes around 40 minutes and costs about 5RMB. Both hotels are out of my personal experience but I do understand they represent two of the best in Shenzhen. As you have been told, night time is probably not a good time to travel the metro on your own but there again same with TransPerth, lol. You will be safe enough in the LouHu markets but you will be targetted by the shop owners because you are a tourist. Don't take all the traders hassle too personally just ignore them like the locals do.

Hope you have a great experience.

Mike

Jakarta
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

i think for me it's shangrila hotelll.. it's trully just accrosss the luo hu........... and it's fantastic... u can shop at luo hu for 5 days... hehhee honestly 1 day is just not enough.... hahaha u can find everything.... for A-z.. from armani to zegna.. u name it u got it....... it's just fantastic.. and staying accross the shangrilla it's just wonderfull...

5. Re: which hotel Crowne Paza or Shangrila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 06, 2009