We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
54 reviews
The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

On Sunday I took a trip down to Shekou to see the branch of the V&A (Victoria and Albert) Museum. It's small but interesting. Much of the building is still empty but gradually being filled with art shops and the like.

However the jewel is The Shekou Museum of Reform and Opening. It documents the opening up of China with photographs and text. The Shekou Industrial Zone was  the first part of Shenzhen SEZ to be built, opening up to foreign investment in January 1980.

Construction started in 1979 and was driven through by Yuan Geng. I had never heard of him but now I wish there was an English biography - check on the Wiki article for a taster. So many innovations were introduced by him. For example, the workers did not have SZ Hukou so were not covered by the regular distribution of rice. Yuan Geng had shops! opened where they could buy it. Many other such innovations.

He told his subordinates who were getting nervous about so many empty factory buildings "If they never fill, then I'll take responsibility. In the worst case I'll just go back to prison."

Of course there are the standard shots of Deng Xiaoping on the Minghua and Gu Mu and Jiang Zemin standing on a hill and pointing.

If you are in SZ and are interested in how China started going international 40 years ago, then have a look.

Edited: 6:43 am, March 12, 2018
6 replies to this topic
Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

How long does it take to see the design museum? Any major show currently?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
96 posts
1,363 reviews
2. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

Thanks the recommendation!

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

The current special exhibition is called Minding the Digital. It gets a quite interesting rating and runs till June.

I spent about 3 hours in the building looking at the two museums and the other things in that building. It is an hour by metro away from where I live in Futian near the Science Museum.

Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

Thank you. From Luo Hu Station, how long would be the travelling time?

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

Ten minutes more than me - four stations longer than for me on Line 1, then change to Line 2 at Window of the World station.

At Seaworld station, take the first exit signed for Seaworld and you can see the ship in front of you. Turn and walk away from the ship till you reach the road then turn left. Turn left again at the first junction and you will see the building at the end of that road. Maybe ten minutes walk in total.

Edited: 11:18 pm, March 20, 2018
Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside

Thank you once again. I will try to visit after Window of the World.

Reply to: The First Place to Open Up to the Outside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted