We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Arenas

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Arenas

Hi -

I will be flying to Punta Arenas on February 5th and spending about 40 days touring Ushuaia, Los Glaciares, and Torres Del Paine. I would like to know about the buses that travel from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia. Should I make reservations and if so, what is a good website. Thanks.

Chris Darron

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Arenas

U can check out busespacheco.com. I don't think there is online option. Once u are there u can suss things out..

The opposite route is to do Torres del Paine, cross over to El Calafate then bus to Ushuaia via Rio Gallegos..

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Arenas

Thanks for your advice, raras2u.

Chris Darron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Arenas

I'll be in Punta Arenas on Saturday for much of the day (in between cruises from/to Ushuaia). Time permitting, I'll try to scout out some semi-reliable bus info. I'll report back when I return (after December 17) if I get any decent details.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Arenas

Thanks John for your info.

Chris Darron

Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Arenas

Hey John waiting your comments aswell I´ll be there next January 23th !

Hope you had a good one !

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Arenas

Hi John

Did you find out anything about bus schedules from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia? Thanks.

Chris Darron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Arenas

Hi Chris,

Just sorting out all my paperwork, but here's some bus info:

Tecni-Austral: Av. Lautaro Navarro #975 in Punta Arenas

PUQ/USH: Tue/Thu/Sat @ 9:00 am

USH/PUQ: Mon/Wed/Fri @ 5:00 am

16,000 Chilean pesos (about US $30.00) each way

Also, Buses Barria, Wed & Sat @ 8:30 am -- info here: http://busesbarria.cl/

Buses Ghisoni -- same address as above

PUQ/Rio Gallegos: Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat at 11:00 am

Return: Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun at 12:00

9,000 one way, 17,000 round trip

To Puerto Natales: Daily at 10:00, 15:00, 17:00, 19.00 -- 5,000 pesos one way

NOTE: I've made all my own trips between USH and PUQ by ship, so I have not used any of the above. This is just info I collected during my stop-over in PUQ. Needless to say, YMMV, so be sure to check/double-check these schedules in advance of your trip if you can.

Dampier, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Arenas

hi John, is the ship route worthwhile? how much and who with? thanks mate.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Arenas

To jukawix,

Is the ship route worthwhile? You're asking the wrong person<g>. I'm a "hired gun" (a/k/a, invited guest lecturer) for an annual "Charles Darwin in Tierra del Fuego" lecture series on the "Stella Australis" (USH to PUQ, and return PUQ to USH) -- just got back from my 9th and 10th junkets. FWIW, most people do the cruise one way only, visiting PUQ before and USH after the cruise, or vice versa. Both segments stop at Cape Horn (weather permitting), and the USH-PUQ segment stops at Isla Magdalena. Anyway, given my involvement, I'd better keep my mouth shut about the value and leave it to others to comment on this. Or for general info about the cruise line (itineraries, prices, etc.), try http://www.australis.com.

PS -- I see you're from a place named after one of my favorite people. I've got all his books here. Is he remembered there these days?

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Arenas

Thank you John.