We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Magdalena in December

Which Punta Arenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Magdalena in December

I am concerned about cancellation of our tour (via large zodiac: Solo Expediciones) due to rough seas, in which case I wonder if is it will be easy to find a tour company to take us to Seno Otway? We will be in port from 7am-5:30pm so the ferry tour is not an option. The tour provider reported only a 5% cancellation at that time of year, but this will be my only port to observe penguins.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Magdalena in December

Comapa runs tours to both Isla Magdalena and Seno Otway. Here's their page for the latter:

comapa.com/en/…

So if Solo Ex cancels Magdalena and doesn't offer Seno Otway, it might be worth a shot to try Comapa. In Punta Arenas, their office is diagonally across the street from Hotel Cabo de Hornos.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Magdalena in December

Just an update since our trip is now finished. Soloexpediciones did in fact have to cancel our trip. By the time walked back to the port to get a taxi to Otway, they were all booked and we had to wait a total of two hours before a van (we have a party of five) returned from an earlier trip to the colony to make our way there. There were 40 knot winds that day at Otway, so I can imagine it might have been too rough at Isla Magdalena, although I don't know where that is in relation to Otway.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Magdalena in December

Mary, Isla Magdalena is about 20 miles NE of Punta Arenas -- the Strait is about 20 miles wide in that area, so that and the winds can make it a rough boat ride. FWIW, search Google Earth for "Isla Magdalena, Punta Arenas, Chile" to see it.

4. Re: Isla Magdalena in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2015