We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic

I traveled on a muli-country trip in South American in 2007 and had a number of difficulties accessing bank ATM machines for cash in most countries because of the different chip security systems used in those countries.

Do any recent travelers to Southern Chile or Argentina have any adivce. Trying to avoid the problem this time when we take a trip to Punta Arenas and drive to Tierra del Fuego and then up to Southern Argentina.

Joe

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

Both countries now have a per use charge for foreign credit cards, I don't know if that was true when you were here last. Your money will go further in Argentina if you have some dollars cash with you.

What sort of problem did you encounter last time?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

Here is an ATM locator for Chile:

www.redbanc.cl/portal_redbanc/browse…

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

Thanks it was 2007 and in Rio it was almost impossible to find a bank that would accept a US ATM card, finally I found that Bank of Santander was one where my USAA ATM card worked, not in the rest.

Joe H

Santa Cruz

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

For Chile, what will matter the most is whether your card is on the Cirrus or Plus system.

Banco Estado ATMs do not take foreign cards on the Plus system. The other ATMs will.

Other than that, it is making sure you hit the Extranjero choice after entering your pin and selecting the correct type of account you have - checking or savings.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

My and my husband's ATM cards worked fine in the ATMs at Chile. They aren't fully on chip and pin system (if they use it at all). The ATM in the Punta Arenas airport took our cards fine, we just had to pay a little fee for each transaction (as you would with a credit card).

6. Re: Bank ATM Machines in Southern Chile and Argentina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 24, 2014