We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Arenas or ?

Which Punta Arenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
141 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Arenas or ?

Looking at some of the forums I think I need some direction as I might have overestimated what I thought was possible.

We are spending some time in El Calafate and then travelling onto Punta Arena. We are leaving El Calafate on 13th December and then have a flight booked from Punta Arena on 18th December.

I had assumed we could travel to Punta Arena from El Calafate and then do tours from there, some forums seem to suggest that its not worth spending too much time in Punta Arena but to spend it at Torres del Paine. We arenot planning to hire a car so would need to do this either by public transport or a tour company.

Any suggestions please as to how I can make the most of the time I have allocated to this part of Chile?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,199 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Arenas or ?

You should certainly at least go and see Torres del Paine for a day. You can take a bus from El Calafate to Puerto Natales. PN is a small town which is the closest place to the park. It still takes 2 hours to get there from PN (Punta Arenas is another 3 hours away). You could have a nice meal and spend the night, take a full day trip to the park, spend another night and the following day move on to Punta Arenas. PA is more of a city but with a very interesting past and plenty to fill at least a day. There are lots of hotels and guesthouses in Puerto Natales which can arrange a day trip to the park and your bus travel.

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Arenas or ?

Thanks for that suggestion that would fit in well with what I want to do in Punta Arenas.

I have one more question which I will post on another forum as its about Puerto Montt.

3. Re: Punta Arenas or ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 15, 2013