We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Olympia, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Does anyone have a recent experience renting a car from Alamo in Punta Arenas?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

There are lots of previous posts about Alamo. Put the name in the search box and see what others have to say.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Avoid Alamo in Punta Arenas. Their insurance deductible (the insurance only covers above USD 800) is very high so any minor or medium damage will be charged to your credit card. I rented a car from them April 14-15, 2012, and the strong wind slammed the driver door so hard that it dented the side of the engine. OK, my responsibility for not opening the door more carefully. I asked to see the repair estimate, but Alamo only emailed it to me nearly two weeks after I returned the car. When I requested a second estimate to compare theirs, they said it was too late because the card was already in the repair shop. Nor fair, I replied.

In April 2010 I rented a pick up truck from Avis in Punta Arenas. We had an accident in a slippery dirt road in Patagonia, but not only it cost less than the Alamo repair but Avis' customer service was prompt and caring. Prefer Avis if you rent a car in Punta Arenas and drive safely.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Avoid Alamo in Chile. The insurance deductible (the insurance only covers repair above USD 800) is very high so any minor or medium damage will be charged to the customer's credit card. I rented a car from Alamo in Punta Arenas, Chile, April 14-15, 2012, and the strong wind slammed the driver door so hard that it dented the side of the engine. OK, it was my responsibility for not opening the door more carefully. When I returned the car, I noted the accident and asked to see the repair estimate as soon as possible. The rental agent told me they would email it to me within a few days. Alamo only sent it to me nearly two weeks later and after I called twice to request it. I then requested a second estimate to compare theirs for about $500, but they said it was too late, because the car was already in the repair shop. Not fair, I replied. Alamo told me the agent is to blame for promising the estimate in a short time. That's very unfair to him.

In April 2010 I rented a pick up truck from Avis in Punta Arenas. We had an accident in a slippery dirt road in Patagonia that severly damaged the car, but not only it cost less than the Alamo repair, but Avis' customer service was prompt and caring. Prefer Avis in Chile.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Avoid Alamo all together. Don't give your money to a company like that.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

avoid them like the plague

a close friend of mine had her holidays basically ruined in February of this year, when the group's Alamo 4x4 rental kicked the mechanical bucket.

not only was there no assistance service in the Carretera Austral area, but they were told they were liable for the mechanicals.

take your money elsewhere

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

A friend and I made a rental via alamo.com for a car in Punta Arenas. Upon arrival (the office is unmarked in a gas station), the representative said that no cars were available -- even though we had a printed copy of the reservation. She called other companies in town, but no one had a car available. She never even apologized for the situation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

For all future Alamo Car Rental people, read the following section first!

tripadvisor.com/…46385226

Mackay, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Hi,

I know this is too late to be of help to the original post however I would like to assist anyone considering renting a vehicle in Chile.

This not advertisement but simply a sharing of a good experience. A great holiday renting a vehicel in Chile is possible if you use a reputable operator. All the major internationals appear ok as is Mr Andres Gabor of LetsGoChile & Lys.

We picked up a Nissan Xtrail from him on the 22nd Oct 2012 and will be returning it this week on 16th Jan 2013. (Yes...3 months of fantastic experiences from Santiago to Ushuaia and back).

The XTrail is an ideal vehicle for the Carretera Austral and Route 40 in Argentina. A heavier Nissan Terrano is more ideal for offroad and Route 40 but the Xtrail coped well.

We had some issues at the border at first caused by changes to the Argentina customs requirements (They changed to a new RentACar Form on the 3rd Dec during our trip...We required many crossings to Argentina and back to Chile due to travel all the way to Ushuaia including Torres Del Paine and the Fitz Roy).

Andres at all times was there to assist and fix this problem. To ensure we were not delayed from our schedule he even arranged an alternative car out of Coyhaique for a period at his own expense. He is contactable by email and usually answers promptly and is contctable on the cell phone which he arranged for us. I recommend him highly.

A word of warning for anyone considering crossing into Argentina...(nothing to do with Andres or Lys). Argentina customs scrutinise rental car documents in minute detail (have been told there is some international rivalry at play).

Ensure that you have;

1. Your own country driving licence

2. Car registration documents and insurance cover.

3. Authoricion Form from Notario (arranged by rental car firm) for permission to take vehicle out of Chile into Argentina. (requires 2 days notice)

4. Rental Car Form for Customs (arranged by rental car firm with 2 days notice).

Ensure all dates on these Forms are correct prior to attempting crossing. We found Argentina border control to be not very friendly however usually received a pleasant welcome to Chile on our return. Guess which country we like to visit most!

Hope this helps persons renting a car from Chile.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

Our experience with Alamo was fine. We had to replace a tire somewhere between Torres del Paine and Puerto Natales, but that kind of thing is common on those dirt roads. But we had a good experience overall. I'm not sure how much better the other car rental companies would be in Patagonia anyway.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any recent experience renting a car from ALAMO?

I rented a automatic saloon for 10 days in Sept last year. The office was in Provendencia and i had no problems, apart for the fact that i was charged $60 for a TAG badge which is used on the Santiago highway. Staff friendly and polite. I am renting again with them next month using the airport office and will negotiate the TAG issue this time!!

There has been a lot of negative reviews about them on Trip Advisor, but i guess that is the nature of the beast on this site.