We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Penguin Activities in Punta Arenas

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Penguin Activities in Punta Arenas

I don't have anything against Penguins, they are totally cute, just that I'm looking for a day-trip/one day activity to do that doesn't necessarily involve penguins!

We are going to be on a cruise that also stops in the Falkland Islands, so are going to see Penguins there. We only have 1 day in Punta Arenas from 7AM to 6PM at the end of February. We are 25 and 26 years old and are active people. I am having a lot of trouble trying to find an activity for us to do while we are in Punta Arenas that doesn't involve being put on a big bus full of people to see penguins...and loads of tourists.

We are primarily interested in scenery, including hiking. We are not interested in museums or shopping. Wondering if someone can give me some advice on the possibility of hiking up Mount Tarn (how hard it is, how long it takes, and where we could find a guide to take us prior to arriving in Punta Arenas?), or if it is possible to do some sort of day tour to Alberto de Agostini NP to see some glaciers...or another closer park, maybe?

We are also open to other suggestions, so please feel free!

I have also heard that the penguin colony at Madgelana Island (sp?) is also beautiful scenery-wise in which case we may be up-for as a back-up...any comments?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Non-Penguin Activities in Punta Arenas

The big stumbling block is the time you have available. Given those limits, the Reserva is a good option. You might also look at a visit to Fuerte Bulnes/Puerto Hambre, about an hour away from PA. Anywhere else is going to take more time than you have.

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Non-Penguin Activities in Punta Arenas

We visited in February of this year and tried over 2 days to hire a car; they were all booked out.

If you want to do the Mt Fenton walk (is that the one on the outskirts of town?) you can just take a taxi there and arrange for them to pick you up at a later time.

We hired a taxi to take us to Fuerte Bulnes and a small state park on the way, he charged us US$150 as a pre-agreed fee and was very helpful along the way.

We also visited Isla Magdalena as part of an expedition cruise, it is a great way to see lots and lots and lots of penguins :) but I wouldn't call it "scenic". We got there around 7am and it was freezing.

13. Re: Non-Penguin Activities in Punta Arenas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 16, 2012