We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

Hello,

I think I will have 3 weeks of fun starting in Punta Arenas (TdP) then ascending through Lakes etc. back to Santiago (slowly by bus) so that problem only I have at the moment is choosing a proper time for trip..

........in this situation I would like ask "locals" should I be planning departure for April ( fall - colors?) OR rather November ( spring - bloom? )..

.........I like both seasons if there is full display of the nature (photos) possibly good weather and "easy travel " as well....

...My intuition and pick is rather for Oct-Nov ?...

.....am I right ?...Thank you

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

We were at Torres del Paine in mid-November. Beautiful blooms -- Chilean Firebush was in its full glory, as well as many other wildflowers. I think November would be better than October -- warmer & less likelihood of wintry weather. We had great weather & many great photos.

Maybe do the itinerary so that you finish at TDP & fly back to Santiago?

Edited: 5:40 pm, January 12, 2011
Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

...Thanks, you brought my feelings up...that's exactely what I am looking for...

........wide angle lens, wildflowers in the front with "dramatic" background (TdP ?)...I chose that kind of settings while traveling through wild west (CA,AZ,CO,NM and lovely Utah) ....best regards from Florida

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

....Again bunch of regards from "cold" this time Florida (freezing ? tonight) but Yorktown is probably in full wintry display so if you staying home don't forget long johns and take care of snow on your driveway...

....After TdP I will try to explore more detaily Lakes and taking buses step by step checking in Chiloe, Temuco etc...way to Santiago...I want to see that famous bazar in Temuco...I think 3 weeks should be plenty of time...

.....thanks

punta arenas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

Just be sure you're ready for the potential of snow in either April or November. The tourist season is definitely started by November, although by no means busy. By the end of March things are really closing up in the park, although there are places which stay open even all winter. I love spring travel, but certainly no guarantees of good weather or easy travel.

Pack warm clothes, gloves, hats, rain gear, a good tent, and hope you don't need much of it!

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

......Thank you for bunch of practical advices...Because of recent troubles in the area I rather consider November instead, of course if everything will calm down...

.....No tents, first of all I don't go for extreme trekking, from the other hand I do travel solo and honoring my age (73) I deserve some comfort but I like to "see" so I don't exclude trailling......

...One extra question if comes to altitude should I consider take Diamox before TdP since I had some problems (sleeplesness and mild arrhythmia) while in Altoplano (Lago Colorado, Iyuni in Bolivia)...regards

punta arenas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

The "mirador" or lookout to the torres is at about 3000 feet, so as long as you stick to the trail system and don't go vertical, you should be fine with altitude.

My parents (65 and 70 y.o.) came to visit last year and did the W with every night in a real bed. Their biggest "discomfort" was a shared bunk room one night. The park has accomodations for all types. One of their friends even opted for a horse ride on the longest trekking day. I'm sure you'll be fine.

The most famous view of the torres is at the high end of a long hike (approx. 8-9 hour round trip) with boulder hopping for the last hour. But the view is great from all sides and it is not necessary to get to the mirador.

The best part of the early and late seasons is fewer people. You just get tired of saying "hello" and "hola" on the busy trail stretches in Dec./Jan.

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

...My question about higths sickness was kind of rethoric one - in real I didn't expect to get sick despite that I am always pushing my luck acting little bit risky....the bunk bed is kind of intimidating but can survive...

...Horse is definitely not in my option - I never did and I never will (probably) sit on the hump of it and that kind of smell (sweat) reminding an armpit of the "hard working mexican fella" - no way jose...

..."hello or hola" kind of "must" on any trail and I really like it (in States it is very obvious custom)...so thank you and hello to your "happy" folks -

I wish to have (at least one) son like you....Chris

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

Sorry my late reply, but i wouls suggest late april.

Novemeber is fine in terms of sun, but it is windy.

April/may colors are simply beautiful.

Theleaves turns into yellows, and red, browns and you can have some light snow already.

And Torres del Paine with snow is definitivly magical.

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

....Thank you for suggestions , but I have already decided for November ...This spring I am booked by now for another destination (also very atractive trip)........

...The best option would be see both beautiful seasons like a spring and fall but this is only sweet dream... Thank you again ...Chris

10. Re: Fall or Spring in Punta Arenas ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 30, 2012