We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

Which Punta Arenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

i plan to go for one day to torre del paine from punta arenas, because i travel with a friend who cannot walk too well.

what is better? rent a car and drive from punta arenas?

or take the flight to puerto natales (there is a scheduled flight on some days apparently, i haven't found any web page yet, though...) and rent a car in puerto natales?

all help is appreciated!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

Have you got no way of staying for one night in TdP? There are some great hotels in the actual park. From what I remember it's a fair drive between Punta Arenas (expecially if you're not used to driving in the area) and TdP leaving you little time to enjoy this vast park (even if you drive around in there). In the park itself some of the roads are fairly narrow and very rough so it will take time to get around in there as well. My final argument would be that it's so beautiful it doesn't deserve to be rushed - experiencing a sun set and a dawn is a must (if at all possible).

PUERTO VARAS
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

you need at least one night in Puerto Natales or inside the park.(my recomendation) you can hire a car or take a bus from punta arenas (buses fernandez)hey have web site.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

There are no flights to Puerto Natales. Only Punta Arenas.

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

Hi,

I'm sorry, there is no way of doing it in one day without staying there for at least one night.

Even taking a very expensive flight from Punta Arenas, like a couple of Russian travellers who did a private one in 2006,adding to the risks of flying with a small plane at the end of the world, the real probability of having bad weather...you may not be able to see anything.

In a few words, too beautiful and too far away to drive for 6 or 7 hours to get there, stay for one hour or so and have to return...

And do not drive on your own, that's Patagonia, with "blind" zones withour any person and no celular phones signal, and if you had any problem, there is no help for hours...

Do you speak Spanish?

Book a 3n program, take your time, visit an Estancia Patagónica like the Lolita on the way, visit the Cave of the Milodon, enjoy El Calafate glaciers on the Argentinian side, etc...

Try asking the Weskar Lodge in Puerto Natales,

Best regards,

Jdelapaz

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

You can actually now fly between Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales. Ñandu Air has started flights this summer. It looks like DAP resurrected. There is one flight a day in either direction.

http://www.nanduair.com/web/

6. Re: punta arenas visit to torre del paine in 1 day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 17, 2009