We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

I'm going mid January and trying to book Refugio's along the way. I was going to do several nights at refugio paine grande and do a hike to glacier grey and return to the Refugio's, a day of rest then onto refugio Los cuernos for one night and onto torres central for a couple of nights to hike Valle ascensio.

Will I have time on my way to Los cuernos to do Valle francais? Is it bad to skip Valle francais?

That's west to east. Should I be doing it the other direction? Any advice? Please comment!

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

West to east is fine, ending with the towers! Don't skip valle frances it's beautiful and great to get into the heart of the Paine massif, and you can get from Paine Grande to Los Cuernos refugio in a day including Valle Frances.

Happy trekking!

Gemma (EcoCamp Patagonia Community Manager)

Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

Thanks Gemma!

Looks like I'll be needi g to camp up Valle francais. Is there a place to rent a tent there?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

Hi gotgoodkarma,

If you go up the French Valley, and want to camp there, you will have to carry a tent with you. There are two camps there - Italiano and Britannico - not nowhere to hire them.

Italiano is at the mouth of the valley, and much busier than the Britannico camp. The main reason being that Britannico camp is a 1.5-2 hour walk up the French Valley.

If you do not want to carry a tent around with you, then the best way to do it is:

Spend your night at Paine Grande

Set off early, walk to valley, walk up French Valley, descend and head to Cuernos.

If not that route, than, you will have to carry a tent and food. The walk up the valley to Cuernos is not incredibly long, and well worth it, and you can always descend when you have gone as high as you wish.

All the best - have fun!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

As AndeanTrails says, if you want to camp you will have to bring your own tent. Instead, I would go for what I call "the long day", i.e., from Paine Grande to Cuernos, including French Valley (which I wouldn't skip) or vice versa.

That day took me ten hours and a half, including rest and meals time. Yes, it is a long day, but well worth it. And of course, expect the unexpected. In my case, snow on Jan 2nd, which in the Southern Hemisphere is something really unusual!

Enjoy!

5. Re: Help! I can't figure out which direction to hike the W

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, December 17, 2013