We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

Has anyone driven from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine????? When planning out trip we thought this would be the way to do it....it seems no one else has taken a car over the border from El Calafate to TDP! If you have please write!! How long is the drive? Where did you rent a car? Suggestions Please!! Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

There are a lot of previous posts on this here and on the Argentina forums. Yes, you can drive to TdP from El Calafate. For car rental you need to let them know you want the papers to enter Chile. It usually adds a bit to the cost and can take a few days to process. Most companies will want you to have an international driver's license to do the trip, so ask.

An ordinary car is usually alright, if you go slowly. If you are more than 2 people and/or have a lot of luggage, you might want a 4X4. Most rental vehicles are not automatic, so specify if you are looking for an automatic.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

Thanks for your reply! I keep hearing it takes a couple days to process paperwork to go over the border...do they do this ahead of time or when you get there? We plan to arrive on Nov. 30th get the car then and drive over border that day! Thanks for your help!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

It can take 3-4 days or more, so you should arrange it before you go. Check for specific companies in the Argentina forums putting 'car rental calafate' in the search box. There was a recommendation recently for a company called Dubrovnik, I think.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

We just drove from El Calafate to Torres del Paine. We hired a car with AVIS - not booked it online. We went to AVIS in El Calafate - in Avenida del Libertador. Soledad - who sorted it all out for us - was very good. The rate was competitive and we had a car allowed to go to Chile. We booked 2 days before we were due to travel.

The border crossing was straight forward. We had a Renault Clio - so no 4WD or big car. Use Route 40 to Esperanza and then followed the signs for Rio Turbio. There are no signs for Chile or Torre del Paine. The turning out off the main road to go to Chile is very small. There is a sign for International border - and it is an immediate turning onto an unpaved road (Cancha Carrera crossing).

Road is pretty much all unpaved from there - but ok to drive.

Total time was maybe 5.5 hours from El Calafate to TDP - depends on where you are in the park.

Having a car in Torres del Paine is quite handy as otherwise - depending on what you do - but if you are styaing in a hotel excursions to the various area of the park are very expensive. Therefore the car was actually a much cheaper option for the 2 of us.

We stayed at the hotel Rio Serrano which is pretty hand and very nice.

By the way - bring some Chilean peso as there is no easy access to cash in the park.

Also if you have a car - only place to get petrol (very expensive) is the Posada Rio Serrano.

Brazil
Level Contributor
166 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

Itravel4ever:

coud you share with us your car hiring experience? I'm also thinking about renting a 4wd car in El Calafate or Puerto Natales to visit the Park. We are in 4 and the excursions are very expensive. And so are the hotels within the park. I'm also thinking about staying in Altiplanico and visiting the park everyday, but I don't know whether it will work or not.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

Hi all

for those who have driven this road - is it preferable to a bus from a scenic perspective? it's a long drive so if it's a scenic area it's pretty cool to drive, if it's boring desert land it might be better to nap on the bus...

Thanks

7. Re: Can I Drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2011