We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

We are going to be in TDP the end of this month, Feb 09. Does anyone know if you can take the boat ride around Lago Grey from Hosteria Lago Grey and get off and hike around the area by Refugia Grey? After hiking can you then get back on the boat to return back to the Hosteria? If this is possible do you know if reservations are required for the boat? Also is the boat ride worth it. I know you can take the boat from Pudeto to Pehoe and hike up to Refugia Grey but am looking for another option to see more of the glacier with some hiking involved. Thanks for your help

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

You do need reservations, although I was able to get one the day before in January, but they do sell out. You can probably book it when you arrive in Punta Arenas (or in Natales via a hotel or travel agent).

You can try emailing the Lago Grey company here:

info@lagoturismolagogrey.com

Fono: 56-61-712132

Fax: 56-61-712115

They do have a website but it doesn't really seem to work.

The bigger question is how are you getting to Hosteria Lago Grey? Will you have car? There are no regular busses that go to Hosteria Lago Grey, it's all tours, private transfers, and private vehicles.

I thought it was worthwhile (better than Balmaceda/Serrano) although if you're also seeing Perito Moreno in Argentina maybe not.

I took just the round trip cruise, but they did mention that there was a morning boat that left the backpackers off at the Refugio. I think I've read that the morning boat doesn't go to the glacier front, so you would not see the best part of the cruise (the middle hour). Perhaps the return from the Refugio does? The afternoon boat that I took (left the hosteria 2:30 or 3 pm boat) did not stop at the Refugio.

I think the normal plan is to take the catamaran, hike to Refugio Grey, and get the boat back. However I didn't do it and don't have the timings. Generally if you're on a budget it's better to follow all of the other backpackers because the busses are set up for them.

Hopefully someone else can chime in that has done this.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

Oops..I typed the email wrong

It's info@turismolagogrey.com

Expect a few business days before receiving a response.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

Thanks for the info. We are actually planning on staying outside the park at Hosteria Tyndall in one of the cabins. We will have a car so driving to Hosteria Grey is not a problem. I think if we do due the boat trip around the lake we will take the morning trip and then try to get off at the refugia for a while and then try to catch the afternoon boat back as long as this is possible.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

I would ask Tyndall about it if Lago Grey doesn't get back to you.

Reno, NV
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

We took the morning glacier trip about 2 weeks ago from Hosteria Lago Grey. We had a backpacker on the boat with us, and we dropped him off at the refugio (by putting him on the little inflatable dinghy) and continued on to the glaciers. He was going to hike the circuit, and nobody seemed to mention a one-way trip back. However, they might let you do the same thing by taking the 8:00 boat out, and hiking until the afternoon boat comes by. You would definitely need concrete reservations for this setup, however, and beware that they cancel the trip with only a few hours' notice if not enough people are signed up.

6. Re: Galcier Grey boat trip and hiking in TDP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 20, 2009