We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels and tour in siem reap

la crosse, wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hotels and tour in siem reap

A&F tours has a package for us for $620 USD total for 3 days and 2 nights in Siem Reap at le Meridien. However, I've found better deals on hotels alone, but am not sure what to expect for additional fees like transfer from airport, guides, etc. This includes a tour guide for three days, all transfers and transportation, and breakfast at the hotel...any thoughts?

if this seems a bit expensive, what hotel is the best in siem reap? i've read many reviews on le meridien, raffles, hotel de la paix, the sofietel, etc, and my company offers decent rates for all, but which is the best?

thanks!

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

cant comment on the hotels I'm afraid, as they're out of my league!

most hotels offer at least a one way transfer to/fro the airport, if not is should be $5

tour guide is 25$ a day

car + driver = 20-25$ (depending on who you get)

entrance to angkor: 40$ pp (for 3 days)

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

Best hotel for one isn't necessarily best for another. There are great differences in style, service and amenities. Of course, small hotels have an entirely different atmosphere than the bigger ones.

Hotel de la Paix has a great location in town, gorgeous rooms and great service, very nice pool with half under a roof so plenty of shade, and a lovely spa. They offer some great packages which might be worth looking at. Medium sized, at just over 100 rooms.

Shinta Mani is owned by the same management group as the HDLP, but is much smaller with only 18 rooms. It is also a hotel training institute. They also offer very nice packages that you can see on their website.

FCC Angkor is another smaller place with similar style to the HDLP and Shinta Mani. It has a salt water pool, a very good restaurant and good location as well.

New is the Heritage Suites...it certainly looks lovely, but I don't know anyone who has stayed there. There should be some excellent introductory rates to be had, though.

For a more "Khmer" feeling, La Residence d'Angkor (Pansea) is so-so small with around 60 rooms, has lovely rooms with lots of wood, and a large pool. The Victoria Angkor might be another to look at in this style, but it is a bit larger.

The Sofitel is one of the larger hotels, French managed, and has a large and beautiful pool area. Raffles also has a large pool area. Le Meridien is another larger choice. I'd personally prefer one of the smaller places, but that's me. Many people like the bigger hotels very much.

$620.00 for two nights seems high. I'd think you could do better on your own, booking your own guide, either someone you've had recommended or through the hotel. Transfers from/tothe airport are cheap, and if the guide/driver is hired for the day that would include the airport transfer as well. Breakfast is included in most rates and packages anyway. Make a hotel choice, check rates directly and through various booking sites for comparison (and be sure to check packages and rate inclusions carefully), add on a generous figure for guide/car, and I'm pretty sure you'll come out with a lower figure than $620.00 for two nights.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

Hi,

In september I stayed at Steung Siem Reap Hotel (http://www.steungsiemreaphotel.com/). I enjoyed this hotel and its very good location.

The hotel is a recent one and a second new building should be now opened.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

Siem Reap has plenty of smaller Hotels from $15 US a night with Hot water and air con .So anything more should be ok . The prices are usually written up on their front desk so you can check what you paid on the net etc. Have a look in Lonely Planet the info is fairly accurate. I found they dont negotiate the price at this rate. The rooms are not serviced and basic and you will not get a lift so the second floor max was my request. PS Dont even think about drinking the water.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

My husband & I just got back from Siem Reap (Nov. 18-Nov. 21). We had booked our room at the Shinta Mani. Our room wasn't ready for the 1st day, so they put us up at the Hotel de la Paix (their luxury sister hotel) for the same rate. The de la Paix is very luxurious and is in a great location...walking distance to everything. We stayed at the Shinta Mani for the next 2 days..still a nice hotel, and they do a lot of good things for the community. It is a little further from the central area of town...walkable early at night, but tuk-tuk rides back to the hotel are $1-$2, depending on your negotiating skills. Breakfast at the hotel was a little pricey by Siem Reap standards - about $20 for the American breakfast for both my husband & me. In the nicer hotels, 10% service charge & 7% VAT is added to everything.

As for tour guides, we used Saron Soeun for 2 days, who we LOVED. He had a driver pick us up from the bus station the day before we were to begin touring, free of charge. We shared a van w/ a couple from Singapore, and it was $30 per day, including driver. If we weren't part of a group, his fees would have been $55/day, which is pretty standard for the guides in Siem Reap. The pass for Angkor is $40 per person for 3 days. Saron was an awesome guide...he was so knowledgeable about every aspect of the Angkor temples, and tailored the tour to meet our needs (e.g. we didn't want to go when crowded, wanted to see Tonle Sap, etc.) I would highly recommend him. His website is www.sarontours.com and has his contact info on the website. He replies very quickly.

Good luck....we loved Siem Reap!!!

Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

We loved the Hotel de la Paix. Yes it is pricey by SE Asia standards, but a comparable room in the West would be 3 - 4 times as much. We booked thru Small Luxury Hotels of the World and paid about $170 USD/night. We loved the little day bed -- they made it up as a bed for our daughter, and she felt quite special. The pool is fantastic -- not only is it large, but there are lots of nooks and crannies and fountains.

Odessos
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

A most memorable and comprehensive week´s tour for our 2 families (a party of 10 made up of 4 adults and 6 energetic children aged between 6 years old and 14 years old, so it wasn´t easy by any means!) One family flew in from Singapore and the other from Japan, and on different days as well, but Vivath in his "laid-back" manner organised things so well, it went swimmingly. The hotel was friendly and comfortable, food delicious, tour itinerary marvellous, Vivath (and San the driver, a super and steady driver at that) greeting us each morning with smiles on their faces inspite of a couple of wet days.........cultural education with great fun, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Highly recommended, and absolutely great value-for-money using locals, which we totally approve of! His site with all contact info here: aangkortourguide.com/english/tour-guide.htm

8. Re: hotels and tour in siem reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 22, 2009