We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide suggestions

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Guide suggestions

My wife and I are headed to Siem Reap for 4 days, can anyone suggest a good guide? I have been talking to AboutAsia Travel, they have great reviews but want $900 for acting as a guide for 4 days. Which sounds way high to me.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide suggestions

we hired a licensed guide for our full day trip out to Beng Melea..cost was $50 for a day. Driver/ van was extra...needed a van as 4 of us so too many for a car. Are you wanting a guide for each day in Angkor to visit all temples with you? We simply used a great tuk tuk driver who dropped us off and explained where to meet him..sometimes we walked in one entrance..out another...worked well for us and driver spoke very good English..but not a guide if that's what you really want.

I can't imagine what they're providing for that cost! Easy to get around by tuk tuk..$20 per day..Car for one day trip if you go out of town..rates vary but no where near your $900!

Edited: 12:50 am, December 11, 2014
2. Re: Guide suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, December 11, 2014
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide suggestions

We found the tuk tuk to be very comfortable and easy to use FWIW....

Europe
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide suggestions

you have to pay 30 usd + tip per day per the guide, more for a longer day

I had one and I think was a good idea to spot the temple, but is it up to you., if you prefer to do with a book.

I used pin vannak, he is one of the first on TA, but I think the first guides are all good.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g297390-Activiti…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide suggestions

We booked our guide and driver from our hotel. Many hotels have this service and it is the normal rate.

Viv

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide suggestions

My family and I had just ended our two day tour in Siem Reap with our tour guide cum driver Mr San Park, who was recommended by a friend. I was glad to have hired him! Being a experienced local guide, San Park is knowledgeable about the sites and can customize the itinerary to your interests. Besides, he is patient and humorous too, making the trip fun and enjoyable! Through our interactions with him, I personally find him a kind and sincere person as well. Do consider contacting him to find out more, you can reach him at +855 12 788 354, sanpark.angkor@googlemail.com, www.angkor-temple-guides.com

Caracas, Distrito...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide suggestions

Fully A/C Toyota Camry. YES. You will need the A/C.

We just came back from Siem Reap/Phnom Penh. Siem Reap guide, 26USD not including tip. No I'm not kidding.

There's a catch though. He has night classes so normally he would drop us back at our hotel around 6pm and make reservation for us for dinner recommendation at some restaurant. That's ok with us since after the day's activities we would want some rest prior to night activities. Tuk tuk to night market and pub street cost us only 2USD, 1 way from where we stayed (Borei Resort).

Talk to him. koung99sotheara@gmail.com

Western Cape, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide suggestions

Did you stay in PP or SR for the guide? I guess I don't know how long that drive would be. Did you hire him to get you from SR to PP?

Thank you.

9. Re: Guide suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 20, 2015