We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seven days - siem reap and saigon

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
3 posts
Save Topic
seven days - siem reap and saigon

Hi Guys,

I want your advice and opinion how I will go about my 7 days for these two cities. Should I have option A or B?

Option A;

3 days Siem Reap

1 day to cross by bus (Mekong Express) to Saigon

3 days Ho Chi MInh

Option B:

4 days Siem Reap

1 day to cross by bus (Mekong Express) to Saigon

2 days Ho Chi MInh

I want to take time in touring the Angkor Wat and nearby temples, plus other unique sights they could have in addition to temples (if there's anything worth seeing).

In Saigon, I plan to do about half day of shopping and half day city tour. Would this be enough if I plan on scouting for 20 Vietnam-made backpacks? Where exactly do you buy those bags by the way?

I also want to explore the authentic cuisine and street foods. If I will only be here for two days, should I go to Mekong Delta or to Chuchi Tunnels?

Should I spend 1 extra day in SR or make it 3 days for both cities?

Thank you for all responses!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seven days - siem reap and saigon

Wow you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this especially given that the difference is so tiny. Without addressing which city 'deserves' or 'merits' more time since that is an extremely personal and variable discussion, I would say that only 2 days in any worthwhile foreign city while traveling is quite short. Since only you can know what is best for you, and since you can only answer that question once you have been to both cities, giving them both 3 days statistically maximizes the chances of getting as close as possible to the ideal division of time for you.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seven days - siem reap and saigon

Well, if your main reason for going to HCMC is to buy backpacks you might want to reconsider. All the well-known international brands that are manufactured in Vietnam, including North Face, are for export only and are not sold in Vietnam.

What are sold there are fakes made in China. Some are actually quite good but many are shoddy and quickly fall to pieces. If you do go ahead with your plan you should pay close attention to the quality of the fabric used, and especially to the strength of the stitching, straps and fastenings. If a shopkeeper objects to you giving everything a thorough tug, move on because the item will be substandard.

Quezon City...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seven days - siem reap and saigon

I am thinking that other than the temple hopping in Siem Reap, maybe I could do other things for another one day to add a variety in my trip. Or should I reserve that one day for exploring Saigon?

Quezon City...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seven days - siem reap and saigon

Say I have 1 day shopping and 1 day Cu Chi Tunnel/City tour in Saigon, what will I do with the third day? Is 1 day of Mekong Delta Tour better than another 1 day I can spend in addition to 3 days in Siem Reap?

5. Re: seven days - siem reap and saigon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 01, 2015