We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

We'll be in Siem Reap on Sunday night and are excited, albeit really, really overwhelmed. During our time, we're planning to hit the major sights, and hope to go to Preah Vihear along with Beng Mealea and Koh Ker for a day or two. So...here goes...

Day One - Angkor Wat in the am, grand circuit in the afternoon.

Day Two - Angkor Thom, small circuit in the afternoon,

Day Three - Rolous group, Kbal Spean, Banteay Srey.

Day Four - Trip out to Preah Vihear, et al. Beng Mealea, Koh Ker.

Day Five - Extension of trip to outliers?

This trip, for some reason, is really overwhelming to me to plan. Would it be completely horrible to just rent a tuk tuk and trust the driver? Despite spending hours and hours on it, I still can't seemto Keep everything straight. The hotel where we're staying is arranging the trip to the outliers and has offered one day, but is open to two. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Beng Mealea
Beng Mealea
1,245 Reviews
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
40,489 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Thom
Angkor Thom
7,868 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kbal Spean
Kbal Spean
932 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

Leaving things up to your tuk tuk driver will work well, they do this regularly and know the circuits well. If you can arrange a two day trip to Preah Vihear you could go via Banteay Chhmar (Temple of the Cats) and Anlong Veng, stay the night then head to Preah Vihear the next morning returning via Koh Ker. It's a bit rushed for the amount of time you have, but entirely doable.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

I agree wiht Lynn, instead of picking and choosing temples, let your driver take you to the small circuit one day and the grand circuit the next. All noteable temples will of course be included in the routes. I have gone to the Rolous Group after the small circuit, heading there after lunch. (It is a long day but a fascinating one!)

On your third day head to the outlying temples- Banteay Srie, Beng Mealea and Kbal Spean. Kbal Spean wil eb the most time-consuming because you have to hike up a mountain to get to the river carvings.

On another day, do a day trip to see Preah Vihear, stopping at Koh Ker en route. Get an early start on that day so you have plenty of time, and don't have to worry about driving back in the dark (pretty dangerous in Cambodia).

Mentioned in this post
Beng Mealea
Beng Mealea
1,245 Reviews
Kbal Spean
Kbal Spean
932 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

Thanks, Lynn and Maneki! I like the idea of taking in Beng Mealea, Banteay Srie and Kbal Spean in one day and another day to do Koh Ker and Preah Vihear. Would it be worth it at all to do them on the same trip, with the first day heading to the outliers and then heading toward Preah Vihear that afternoon/evening, or just two separate trips? It looks like they're kinda on the way to one another, maybe?

Mentioned in this post
Beng Mealea
Beng Mealea
1,245 Reviews
Kbal Spean
Kbal Spean
932 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

It wouldn't be possible to do all of those on one trip. They are very far from each other and you will want to spend several hours each at Koh Ker and Preah Vihear, not to mention the time it will take to get there (and back). Definitely two seperate trips.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

We really enjoyed our trip to Tonle sap . To the village of Kampong Phluk . It's a nice diversion from the temples.

Edited: 7:35 pm, March 10, 2014
london
Level Contributor
977 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

Hi there

This sounds absolutely fine. My hotel had suggested day trips and I just followed that with my tuk tuk driver, who was wonderful.....trusting your driver is usually fine. I also had an English speaking guide for one day who was really nice, extremely knowledgeable and great company. Many have done this for years and years and are really lovely . The suggested route will get you back to your hotel early to mid afternoon, so you will have plenty of down time too. I also really enjoyed Bang Mela and the floating lake.

Have a great trip

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

Thanks, everyone! I always fall into the trap of wanting to cram too much into vacation and see everything while I'm there, even though I know by now that it's not possible and doesn't usually work too well.

I do want to make sure we get to Preah Vihear to add another UNESCO World Heritage site to our list, so that'll go as a priority daytrip paired up with Koh Ker. The hotel's offered it for $120, which sounds incredibly reasonable compared to some of the prices I've been seeing, so I'll let them plan that. An additional day will be Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei and Kbal Spean, as those are all ones I had also put on my must-see list. That leaves 3 days for the closer temples, of which I'm not going to worry about which ones to see or not see. I won't regret what I don't know I missed. I'll make sure to post a trip report when I get back!

Mentioned in this post
Beng Mealea
Beng Mealea
1,245 Reviews
Banteay Srei
Banteay Srei
6,493 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kbal Spean
Kbal Spean
932 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
8. Re: Tentative Itinerary 5 days in Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2015