We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transporting a donation

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Transporting a donation

I know a young student in Seam Reap who needs a computer to begin university. I would like to send him a laptop though to do this I need to give the computer to someone who will be traveling from Switzerland to Seam Reap. Can anyone help?

Thank you very much.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transporting a donation

this is to see if my address is correct as it should read as, "aroundtheworld93"

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transporting a donation

I understand your problem as mail to Siem Reap is totally unpredictable.

You might also be limiting your opportunities out of Switzerland.

You really are throwing it out there just hoping, believing trusting that your respondent will be HONEST.

Perhaps you should direct your situation to YWAM - The RED CROSS or similar.

I know what its like, we have to wait until we go ourselves or a friend who then always gets loaded with things to take and in most cases the sender forgets to contribute to excess baggage charges.

IF you don't have any luck..let me know as I know a friend who will be taking a team later this year.

Best of luck

masa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transporting a donation

As a near-weekly consignee of mail to Cambodia for Phnom Penh, Battambang and Siem Reap, I can assure you that mail to Seam Reap is particularly efficient and reliable these days, and has been for some years now, providing one states the essential information on the addresses for the SR Post Office to use to contact the intended recipient. This includes the prominent display next to the addressees name of the person's HP - Hand Phone Number.

Mail consigned from suburban post offices in Sydney, Australia, routinely takes eight working days to Siem Reap and the same for Phnom Penh. Registered mail takes longer, up to twelve working days, due to the scanning and signing accountability along the way.

As with most mail sent to Cambodia, the local post office needs to be able to contact the addressee by HP to come and collect the mail article and/or the addressee needs to be aware of inbound mail so that they may call in to the post office and enquire about its arrival.

The "fee" for collecting mail appears to have stabilised at between KHR 1,000. and US$1.

In addition to which, the head of the Siem Reap Post Office has fluent English and most helpfully answers enquiries about mail when phoned.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 4:18 pm, January 24, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transporting a donation

Ian, Is that also true, the efficiency and reliability of which you write, for packages which could reasonably contain possibly valuable contents? I have had friends try mailing packages that way, complete with handphone number, and they did not arrive. Not at least to the handphone owner. But this was admittedly a year ago to one and a half years ago.

Edited: 4:29 pm, January 24, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transporting a donation

Hello Lenny,

Because one has to make a full, open and honest declaration as to contents and value $on the customs declaration form, and I always do this, it is prudent to send any packages containing "valuable and/or attractive items" by registered mail, which is what I do, hence the reference to this taking longer in my posting above.

Unfortunate, from Australia at least, there is no longer the slower/cheaper sea mail option to Cambodia nor the old SAL = Surface Air Lifted option, nor indeed the "Insured" Mail option. Australia Post will NOT insure items to Cambodia and this, in itself, is based on past experience. The situation may and probably is different in other countries of mail origin.

But as I am, near-weekly, posting a very wide range of items to Cambodia essentially to Phnom Penh, Battambang and Siem Reap - but also occasionally - to outlying provinces I have to say that for the past several years I've never had a problem with a single mail item. And I am posting both to individuals and to, at Battambang at least, an organization, the Battambang Ophthalmic Care - BOC NGO.

On one occasion, I wrote the wrong HP number on the package from my pocket notebook only to have that person email me to say that they, living in Phnom Penh, had received the usual phone call from the Siem Reap Post Office! So, I immediately phoned the Siem Reap Post Office from my home in Sydney, identified myself as the originator/sender of the package and provided the correct HP number. Hence my knowledge of the postmaster at the Siem Reap Post office who provided faultless service once he had confirmed my bona fides.

Lenny, I have to say that in my very regular experience that the Cambodian Postal service is now an efficient postal service provided the sender and, - as I write, I have an Australia Day Tee shirt in the mail right now to a lass who helped us greatly at the Kg Spoe Provincial Hospital Eye Unit right now, - selects the most appropriate level of postal service ie, Ordinary air mail, registered air mail etc and provide the full and accurate contact address and HP details on the address labels.

I occasionally sent mail items to individuals in outer provinces, this does, indeed, take longer. But, touch wood, I have not had an item go missing for several years now. I have, however, had an odd item or two take several weeks longer than expected to get to the recipient and I have no explanations for these abberrations as they could have happened anywhere in the postal chain.

This year alone, I've sent ophthalmic medications urgently required for a six month old girl; technical microscope parts and accessories, external computer hard drive for automatic backing up; North face parkas with detachable liner to two people in Cambodia who found the coldest cold season in thirty years very miserable at night and on their moto's in the early morning. Not to mention several large Koala Bears for a person in a wheel chair going in to hospital on Monday to have even more surgery on her deformed legs.

But I NEVER send any money through the postal system these days. Now days I only use the Pisey Tem Money Transfer Service at Cabramatta, western-Sydney.

Hope the above helps.

All best personal regards. Ian

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transporting a donation

@Ian:

Good to hear your positive news, as I've been using DHL door-to-door the last several years, after one attempt at sending a parcel through australia post to phnom penh a few years ago (the parcel turned up 7 months later, and had been water-logged at some point) ...

Perhaps it's time to give the post another go, as the courier service gets quite costly when used frequently ...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transporting a donation

Very interesting to read your experience. We will have to give it another try when the need arises.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transporting a donation

Hello Andrew.

Yes, at one time ALL mail to/from Cambodia went via the USSR and it took for ever.

These days Cambodia is a full member of the UN IPU - International Postal Union and this made a huge difference to things once staff got trained and international mail procedures got sorted out.

Sorry to say but the likes of DHL and EMS cost an arm and a leg and are beyond my means for the items we send to support activities in Cambodia. Although, we have found that some high value ophthalmic equipment is best sent this way PROVIDED we can find the appropriate UN Item Classification Code to provide to DHL/EMS at time of lodgement as this often avoids duties and other secondary charges on arrival.

All best regards. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transporting a donation

Never ceases to amaze me.

:) oz day

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transporting a donation

It should correctly read...Universal Postal Union...

Rgds. Ian