We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian dollars

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian dollars

Hi there

We are Canadians going to Siem Reap in December and were wondering if we could use Canadian dollars there or do we need to exchange for US dollars prior to arrival. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian dollars

Generally any currency can be exchanged in Cambodia. Try to find money exchange stalls or shops around markets. They don't charge any fees and can be trusted to give same, good rates.

Atm s from SBC bank and FTB bank don't charge fees for withdrawals of US$ with foreign Visa/Master/Maestro Cards.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian dollars

You maybe able to exchange canadian dollars there but not 'spend' them US dollars are the acceptable currency

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian dollars

How many times does the question about currency need to be asked?!?!?!

US Dollars are the de-facto currency here...you will receive change in KHR (riels) for anything under $1USD.

If you bring foreign currency there are hundreds of places to exchange them for USD or KHR.

Use the search function people...the answers are there!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian dollars

Rarky ... about the same number of times that "can I use USD in australia?" is asked on the aussie forum ... aaaaarrrrrrgh!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian dollars

I'm guessing Canadian $'s are different to US $'s then. Seems unfair really, because Canada is a US state, same as Alaska & the Yukon :).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian dollars

Ouch ! . That hurts ....United kingdom...? What do we have there. Wales, Scotland, Ireland . ? Whats the deal with that ?. I'm not quite sure. I think the united states are much to smart to take us hockey playing ,logging, roughnecks on. They just buy our Oil water,lumber,natural gas. at ridiculously low prices. i guess thats where we get our great health care .? :)

Edited: 9:59 pm, November 28, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian dollars

Oh and to the O p. Just get some U.S. Before you go . And use A.T.M card . We will be there January 2 nd with nice new U S notes.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian dollars

From a fellow Canuck, U.S. dollars

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian dollars

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions. Since we're only going to be there for 2 nights, I guess we'll just bring some US$ and nit have to exchange $CDN to the local currency.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,818 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian dollars

travjud, I don't think there is anywhere outside of Canada where you should bring Canadian money to exchange.