We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti malaria drugs

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anti malaria drugs

Just thought I would share as I was very surprised and not sure how I feel about this!

Just went to the travel clinic at my GP surgery this afternoon expecting to get a prescription for Malarone for my forthcoming holiday to Siem Reap and was told I don't need it and that the most up to date travel advice that she was receiving was that anti Malaria drugs were not needed if you were only planning on staying in Siem Reap and visiting the Temples. Apparently anti malarias were prescribed for this area up to three years ago -but she said that as they had withdrawn this advice they must have decided it was not necessary at the moment. She did however say that we were probably at greater risk of catching Dengue Fever than Malaria. This goes against everything I was expecting.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti malaria drugs

Hi travelqueen43

If you go on the British foreign office website for advice on Cambodia you can click through to health which confirms what you've been told. We are including Kep (yeah) on our trip so will no doubt be advised to take anti malarial medication (boo!) because of this. Hope seeing it in black and white helps put your mind at rest. Have a fab trip.

Sam

Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti malaria drugs

Thank you so much Sam I will have a look now. Hope you have a great trip too

Regards

Janet

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti malaria drugs

This subject has come up quite often and if you do a search you will find that most regular travellers to Cambodia never take anti malarie medications. BUT do take precautions against mozzie bites, cover up and regularly use insect repellent with DEET as an ingredient/ Dengue Fever is a bigger problem these days as there is no treatment for it

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti malaria drugs

That all makes sense to me and sounds familiar to the advice our very qualified tropics travel clinics here are also giving. So shouldn't be surprised

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti malaria drugs

Your travel clinic is 100% correct on this. I hope they also emphasized just how big a risk Dengue is. You need to do all you can to avoid mozzie bites, including covering up as much as you can in that heat and humidity and liberal use of repellent. Dengue carrying mosquitoes are active during the day, not just evenings, and are present in urban areas throughout the region. Malaria can be treated; Dengue there's no treatment (yet). So spray 3-4 times day and night.

By using sensible precautions against Dengue, you are also reducing any risk of being bitten by Malaria carriers, hence no need for the tablets.

Edited: 6:40 pm, October 07, 2013
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,221 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anti malaria drugs

sunscreen first then mozzie spray 20 min later. don't forget to spray places like under the arches of your feet (you will be wearing sandals or flip-flops much of the time)

I have never taken anti-malarials visiting Cambodia - I figure if I have to spray & cover up to stop the dengue mozzies bighting the same precautions will do for malaria mozzies.

7. Re: Anti malaria drugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2014