We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Hi All,

I have looked at the restaurants in Siem Reap that are rated on Trip Advisor. However, I am looking your opinions.

I'm looking for places to have dinner and lunch. Looking for one upscale dinner and one lunch and dinner where the food is really good but cheap/reasonable.

Looking for Khmer food primarily.

Please tell me what your favorites are and why. If you can, tell me what your favorite dish was also.

Thanks, guys. Everyone is awesome on this forum.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

For us, the best food we ate was street food - no reservations necessary.

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Thanks but with a comprimised immune system, I can't take a chance on street food.

Any restaurant recommendations?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

What makes you think that eating in a restaurant is safer than eating street food? I have been into a few restaurant kitchens here and I would prefer to eat where you can see what they are cooking. As there are no health inspectors or health and hygiene courses for restaurants I would recommend big hotels or where you can see the kitchen is clean such as Haven training restaurant or newly opened Siem Reap party house on SokSan rd. of which I can recommend both of these restaurants.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

You must try Haven restaurant. It was teh standout during our visit in July. But suggest you make a booking.

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Chipola: I know eating in restaurants is not necessarily safer than eating street food. I do know that being a first time visitor to S.R., I would not know where to have any "safe" street food, which is why I prefer to avoid it unless it was recommended. And, I'm not traveling 3/4 around the world to eat in a hotel either which is why I am asking for recommendations for places to eat. Thank you for the recommendations.

Peter R: Thank you for the recommendation. I will check out their website.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

I'd recommend eating at Ponleu Chan Restaurant... you can check its review in TripAdvisor. Awesome local food at local prices :)

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

10 January on Sivutha just down from the Park Hyatt for reasonable and very tasty local food.

Cuisine Wat Damnak for a seriously inventive twist on things, upscale, need reservations, dinner only.

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Thanks Cranberry!

Thanks, Ellen!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
48 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

Look at the restaurant reviews.... They ARE our opinion.

WHENEVER traveling ANYWHERE in a third world country, eat ONLY hot cooked foods. Also follow CDC'S Advice and take 2 Pepto Bismol tabs before EVERY meal.

California
Level Contributor
735 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations and Why

What area exactly can I find the best street foods? Suggestions on some streets and neighborhoods appreciated .

We're staying at Le Meridien angkor