We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

Hi All,

I found out the entrance to Angkor Wat for one day is $20, which in Cambodia seems expensive vs. the costs of everything else, but I'm assuming after you see Angkor Wat, it will seem like a good deal.

Am I right, is seeing Angkor Wat worth every penny of the one day $20 entrance fee?

90 replies to this topic
Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

The ticket gives you admission to ALL of the temples and other sites within the Angkor Archaeological Park and under the authority of the APSARA Authority although you buy your ticket from a Private Company - Sokha - but we won't go there on this post as it is a long and highly contentious issue.

Best regards. Ian

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

Is the cost of one ticket to Disney World in Florida worth $92USD?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

As others have said, there are dozens of temples in the Angkor Complex, a one-day pass will give you the opportunity to see Angkor Wat among many impressive others. It is entirely worth it. If you have 3 days, you can get the 3-day pass for only $40 (in 3 full days you still won't see them all!) . If all you have is the one day, then plan on getting up at the crack of dawn to make good use of that pass. (You can even purchase the pass at 5:00pm and get in to see the sunset, the activate the pass the next morning when you start touring the temples.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

worth every cent

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

The entrance ticket to Taj Mahal in India costs $12 and there was surprisingly little to see. A few hours and you were done. It was something of a "duh" experience in the end.

The Angkor Archeological Park is open 5am - 6pm and there are things to see to fill several days. The cost per hour works out to be about the same as going to the movies in Thailand.

The entrance fee is definitely not worth the money if you could care less about old ruined temples, statuary and reliefs. I have visited some Khmer style temples in Buriram but they were nowhere as impressive as the ones at Angkor, so you will still get value for your money if you have seen such temples in Thailand.

Edited: 3:33 am, August 18, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

Thanks for all the replies!! I would love to see as many temples as I could! I love historical sights and would love it if I got the $40 3 day pass which would allow me to see as many temples as I could, that would be awesome! I had a couple disappointments at past temples, but I think with Angkor Wat I would be like, "Whoa, this place is awesome!"

I don't think Disneyworld is worth $92, that seems way excessive, just to say you took the kids there. But, I'm glad everyone weighed in and told that AW doesn't disappoint when you visit. :-)

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Level Contributor
529 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

No it is not worth the 20 us$ / day. It are just a bunch of old stones. But if you are interested in century old stones that where made up to huge temple complexes without the machineries we have now and if you are interested in the amazing beautiful art created out of stones .... then it is worth every Riel you pay for it.

And as you probably do not live in Cambodia the price is totally not in relevance to the cost of life in Cambodia.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,563 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

It's worth every last cent. Maneki has given good advice about the three day pass, which is also worth every cent. There is such a lot to see in what is a huge area of what was once a thriving city. It's mind blowing and to use your own word "awesome". You most definitely won't be disappointed.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?

I agree, it would be cool to see what was once a huge city and think about what life was like back then, when it was the center of the action in the vicinity. I'm excited to see it!

Reply to: Angkor Wat Entrance Fee --Worth the $20 USD?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted