We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Many posts have mentioned bus journeys from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by bus but very few or none? talked about the other way (Siem Reap to PP by bus). I know the bus companies do have buses going SR-PP. I sense that it is better to travel from PP-SR? I was told that the road from SR-PP does not have expressways and drive through villages and countryside roads instead. Also, I plan to travel in December and was told it is a rainy season and roads may flood. Can anyone advise on this please? Thanks.

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

No floods in December.Rain has stopped.Its 310 kilometers each way.Two lane road.Lots to see.The small vans make the trip in five hours and the buses in six.The vans are ok unless you are carrying lots of luggage.About $10 one way.The only two buses I can recommend are Mekong Express and Giant Ibis.Eleven and thirteen dollars.Giant Ibis has the newest buses and my first choice when I don't drive my car.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

I would also go with the Giant Ibis and would avoid travelling at night as that's when most accidents happen.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Thanks. Got your responses on Giant Ibis.

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Since there's so many buses running during the day thats when you see the most crashes.In the last three years since they started night buses I have heard of three night crashes.I read the paper almost every day.If you google it you get the same three crashes over and over again.

So there's NO TRUTH to the story that more crashes happen at night.Every day hundreds of buses travel all over Cambodia and at night maybe thirty.The law of averages says you will have a lot more crashes during the day. And its almost always the cheap buses.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
250 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

I used Mekong express service from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh which was pretty good..with a stop over for lunch and passport control entry of Vietnam....I dint feel the roads were bad or something like that....as I was on a budget used this service...happy journey!

Edited: 2:26 am, July 02, 2013
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

I just did SR to PP a week ago and would recommend Mekong Express. They are a bit more expensive than the rest (USD12) but the bus travel time is like clockwork. We were told we'll reach by 1.30 pm and we reached at 1.30 pm on the dot. The bus is comfortable (though the seats are a bit narrow for someone of a wider girth), the roads really good and the journey smooth.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Thanks for the update. Noted Mekong express.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Hey, just seen your post,

The prices people are saying are double what you can actually pay. We did this journey 2 weeks ago and paid $5 each. despite what people are told, their is only one bus company that goes and agents charge more depending on what they can take from it.

We got on the bus and meet this couple who paid $10 each for a "vip" bus, which was exactly the same bus as we got on for $5.

Go to the street with the night markets on and head towards the round about. If pub street is on your left there is a few agents on the right hand side of the road near the round about, check them out as I cant remember the name of the agent and get it for $5

As for the roads, they were a little bumpy in places, but nothing serious.

Happy travels

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

I have just made the trip from PP to SR and back again in the last week.I would highly recommend Giant Ibis bus company. Very comfortable ride. Two stops and it took 5 hrs 30 mins. Bus has wifi and movies. Recommend you book front seats as they provide more leg room and best views. Company provide water snack and wet towels. Very smooth and comfortable ride.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus

Hi, this is interesting. You mean you bought the ticket from the street? Do the buses get full easily especially in mid December which I was told is peak season? Should I just wait till I am there to buy the bus tickets. I was actually planning to book online.