We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Bogota, Colombia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

My family and I were planning to visit Siem Reap for a day trip flying from bangkok, but i seems that it illegal to visit Cambodia for just a day (we will arrive early in the morning and leaving that night back to Bangkok to head home). It is the first time that i heard that a country makes amday trip illegal, itmis true?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

don't know about illegal but you really should plan for 3 days - there is a lot to see & do

you my find it is a requirement of the airline fare - ie to stay away at least one night ??

siem reap
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Eleven years and I have never heard that before.I think someone told you wrong.

Paris
Level Contributor
60 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Nothing illegal about a day trip but as you will need to get the one month tourist visa anyway at the border, why staying a few days. There is a lot to see here and 2/3 full days is a minimum. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

not illegal at all,i tell you what i have found through in bangkok is travel agents telling you all sorts of reasons not to visit cambodia:)anything from the border is closed, to very dangerous sir LOL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

What a load of rubbish!

Perfectly legal to enter and leave Cambodia on the same day.

This is happening all the time with businessmen, INGOs/NGOs and tourists.

Still need to get a visa on arrival though unless holding an ASEAN exemption.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Phnom Penh @ Blue Lime - standard room.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Enjoy the Dawn Service tomorrow Ian.

Lest We Forget

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Hi,

It used to be that Bangkok Airways - the only practical way of doing a day trip is to fly - wouldn't sell you a day return ticket, but now they do. Plenty of people do a visa run to Cambodia from Thailand and they are just there for a couple of hours or less.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Hello Helen, surprise, surprise but the ANZAC Day Dawn Service has now been advertised in today's Phnom Penh Daily and it now wide open to all Australians and New Zealanders who turn up with their Aust or NZ passport and open to any Khmers who produce their Kat Procheachun - National ID Card. I think that this is a great move.

Davy Keo, Touch Sokhom and Hong Sokun joined me for breakfast at the Blue Lime at 07:30 am this morning. We went our separate ways at 10:00 am. Khom and Sokun are getting up early to come to the Dawn Service. Davy is sensibly staying in bed. So we had a happy and relaxed start to the day with three of the Tourist Assistant team.

Eddie Smith, the ultralight pilot didn't make it to breakfast. As I have not yet got round to buy a new SIM Card I'm not sure what happened to Eddie.

I arrived on the TG night flight and strolled through Visa-on-Arrival and ended up waiting for my large bag full of goodies for the ophthalmologists, opthtometry technicians and the potters. Khom has already laid claim to the bag once empty which, as usual, came from my local council half -yearly household clean up. She has a good eye for a bargain as it is a very good Sampsonite and in very good condition. But all of my large bags/suitcases are one-way single-journey ones and much sought after by locals! She wants it to store clothes in and to keep them dust free etc.

Today is quite warm and humid and I suspect that we may get some rain tonight as the clouds are building up a bit. But it's often like this and then nothing comes of it.

Tourism is very light at the moment which suit me fine.

I was last in Phnom Pen in early November 2012. The change since then is most noticeable. But I am saddened to see the destruction of Kroy Changvar by the developers. Large areas of the river side should have been preserved as open public space. This "development" will now force all Bon Om Tuk/Water Festival spectators and participants on to one side of riverside only. Not good and potentially dangerous unless crowd control is much improved and enforced.

I needed to change AUD $100 this morning so took an easy walk from Blue Lime to Riverside and made a number of test exchanges at the money changers along Sisowath. Interesting results with rate varying from US$96 to parity $100. Neeedless to say I took the parity rate.

Now some lovely shops in Street 178 between National Museum of Cambodia and main road running in front of Royal Palace. Needless to say, I spent some time in my niece's shop - Khmer Artisanry at 33 BEO and also at the shop along side it, Silk and Pepper where, to my delight, I found a completely new source of Khmer highly decorative pottery from a potter/pottery previously unknown to me. This ill be followed up in the coming weeks. Also of special interest is the new Reyum shop opened days after my previous visit. The Lizard Bleu is also of a very high standard and well worth a visit. Phnom Penh really is progressing in leaps and bounds in some areas.

Interestingly, I have seen just a couple of tuk-tuks with metal mesh enclosing the two sides and rear of the passenger compartment. Obviously a sensible precaution against opportunistic theft such as bag, watch, bracelet or necklace snatching by motorcycle thieves. I hope the trend catches on. Locals are very much aware of this opportunistic theft but far too many tourists are complacent and have a false sense of security once on board a tuk-tuk.

I'm having a quiet day to day as a bit tired after the trip from Sydney. Probably have a swim this evening followed b an early night for an early start in the morning for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service.

All best regards. Ian Camp Phnom Penh at Blue Lime standard room

PS. The construction of the new multi-story hotel next to the Blue Lime is completed and now fit-out is underway. I am surprised at just how tall it is given it's proximity to the Royal Palace!

PPS. The lovely Blue Lime manager, Geraldine, left for home leave two days ago. Also plenty of new faces here but all of the same very delightful standard as before.

PPPS. I have now received a formal invitation to a wedding! Not bad given that I had only been in country about half an hour when it was hand delivered to me!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

Ian it sounds as if you are about to have a wonderful trip. I can see you eagerly setting out to follow up that new potter. Enjoy the dawn service- I will be waiting till later in the day to go to our local one at 9am Qld time so that will almost be the same time as you heading out over there.

Reading what you have written makes me start to think return to the area needs to be on my agenda in the nextyear or so. Few debts to pay off first.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Siem Reap for a day trip, is illegal?

First time I've heard that story! If you are going to all the effort to fly in, and out, and pay for your visa, then pay a few more dollars and stay at least one night, if not 2!

Out of interest, what time (for your day trip), are your flights?