We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Ibiza
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Hello,

This is more of sharing rather than asking.

I went to the Post Office yesterday to post 4 postcards and 1 cover letter. 5 to Malaysia and 1 to Denmark.

The clerk appraised the postage to be 15,000 Riel with 3,000 Riel each. Gave her USD4.00 - and no AIRMAIL flash label, write one if you need one.

Not that many choices of stamp, since we just visited Angkor, i asked if they have stamp with Angkor Wat on it. Nada... But managed to buy stamps featuring Angkor Wat from bookstore, of course at inflated price.

The counter in the post office is filled with postcards and souvenir stamps. The souvenirs stamps are priced way beyond 'souvenirs price' - USD15? Really over-priced!

The service and quality of Siem Reap office were very different to that of Phnom Penh.

Now, i just hope that all those postcard will be delivered safely.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Last year I sent 10 postcards from SR to Australia and we are still waiting for them to arrive!!

Ibiza
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Hey Marlene,

Not sure what to say. Maybe in 'due' time?

Will update once all the recipient get back to me.

If they do, will surely be posted on my collector's website as well www.exonumi.com because i am sure, receiving a postal from cambodia is a history that ought to be cherished!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Ours arrived after 3 months so don't give up home Marlene, they might still arrive :-))

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,307 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Many years ago on our very first trip to Siem Reap, back in the dark ages before mobile phones were commonplace, we mailed a heap of postcards from the post office there. We did the same thing when we arrived in Luang Prabang.

We are still waiting for one - just one would be good - to arrive.

Neither country is famed for it's postal efficiency.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Sorry folks but as a fairly heavy user of the Cambodian postal system for mail inwards to Cambodian friends, and less so for sending postcards out of cambodia, I have to say that the Cambodian Postal Service of the past several years is a far cry from that which proceeded it.

Posting from suburban Sydney to Cambodia usually takes ten days or less for delivery/collection in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and Battambang. Kg. Speu takes longer even though only 1.5 hours drive west of Phnom Penh.

However, in the pre Christmas mails I sent three identical parcels to three seperate locations in Cambodia. Two arrived in ten days. The third took almost five weeks to Phnom Penh. I was convinced that Khom hasd "lost" her Christmas present but it did turn up.

The most important thing to include on any postal article sent to Cambodia is the addressees HP Number and highlighted at that. This is because mail is not delivered in most of Cambodia but the addressee is phoned to come and collect it from their nearest post office and to pay the postal staff for the call made to them.

When posting articles from Cambodia it is advisable to afix the stamps yourself and then to witness the cancellation of the stamps being postmarked by the little "hammer" the counter staff use and then to place the letters/postcards in to the mail box yourself. This way, the stamps can not be "recycled".

Post cards from Siem Reap often take two to three weeks to get to Sydney.

Best regards. ian

West Lafayette IN
Level Contributor
15 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

In defense of the Cambodian postal system, I mailed a postcard on 2 March 2013 (dropped in the slot in the Siem Reap post office) to the USA and it arrived today 14 March 2013.

Edited: 5:26 pm, March 14, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

From Siem Reap to Gaborone my letter took 5 days. Way faster than any letter I ever posted fom Europe to Gabs. S.R. to Tokyo - 4 days for a postcard. Neither in the years we lived in S.R. nor during a longstay recently, no mail ever went astray.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
140 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Have the postcards delivered?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

Yes, all postcards were delivered to the recipients.

PP
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Posting from Siem Reap Post Office

I was charged $1 for each stamp to Malaysia, and the staff at the counter was rude!