We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

Hello, my wife and I (US citizens) will be arriving in Bangkok on June 20. After about 10 days in Laos we will be arriving in Siem Reap by air on June 30, so I will no doubt get our Cambodian visas at that time. Our plan now is to travel from Siem Reap back to Bangkok overland via taxis, as I am hearing some negative stories about buses. My question is; Will the Thai visa I possess from my initial landing on the June 20th be valid for the border crossing back into Thailand on July 5th? If so, is there a fast track line we can use or will I have to suck it up and wait for hours?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

No.

On exiting Thailand for Cambodia your original TH visa is cancelled.

But this is not a problem at all because when you re-enter TH you are eligible for another free-of-charge TH Visa. But you either have to get to the border early and in advance of the "masses" or just suck it up and wait your turn in line like everyone else.

Best regardes. Ian

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

If you are a US citizen, you don't need a visa to enter Thailand. You will be leaving Cambodia on your visa and entering again at Poipet. You will only need your US passport to enter Thailand again. No photos, no fees....unless you are doing something other than tourist travel. I have done it twice this year. It can be a hassle in line.... Thai immigration likes to take their time. Try to be at the crossing early. That sometimes helps.

I have not heard any reports on the new, direct bus service that started on Dec 28. It has one bus all the way through from SR to BKK. If they process the passports like the tour groups, it will get you through faster and may trump taxi rides which dont get you around the mess at immigration. I understand the bus is $25 US but I have not done it yet as my last rip was two days before the new bus went into service.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

That is correct. Holders of US passports in common with many, but far from all, other national passport holders are "Stamped- In" visa-free in to Thailand for a period of up to thirty days (30) for tourism.You are then "Stamped-out" on leaving Thailand.

In effect, your Passport Stamping-in is your visa for tourists staying less than 30 days. It used to be, and remains so for some nationalities, only 15 days without a Hard Visa.

Best regards. Ian

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,482 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

Hi,

Just to clarify. You don't need a visa when entering Thailand as US citizens for stays of up to 30 days. You enter under the visa waiver scheme, ie no visa needed and if arriving by air you are stamped in for 30 days, when you enter overland as you will from Siem Reap you will only be stamped in for 15 days. You can repeated the process as many times as you need within reason.

Cheers

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

In the early stages of planning. Can you do 15 day stay limit from SR to Bangkok overland entry and then get 30 day limit by arriving Bangkok from Myanmar by air?

Thinking about 2 weeks in Cambodia, then 11 days in Thailand, flying from Bangkok to Yangon/Myanmar for 2 weeks, flying back to Thailand via Bangkok for 3 more weeks traveling.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,482 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

Hi Chris,

Yes you can. As US citizens you get a 15 day visa free stay in Thailand if you arrive overland and a 30 day visa free stay if arriving by air. This can be repeated as many times as you like. Every time you leave Thailand the entry stamp is cancelled so you just get a new one when you re-enter the country.

Cheers

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

Thanks so much paulosussex!!

This forum (Cambodia) as well as the ones for Thailand and Myanmar are invaluable tools to use for trip planning. I truly appreciate all the info and advice.

Edited: 12:29 pm, February 18, 2013
8. Re: Siem Reap to Bangkok visa question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014