We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Could anyone give me an idea of how far the bus station (bus from PP) is from the centre of town/The Hotel DLP.

I'm guessing there will be tuktuk aplenty if it is someway out of town.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Tuks-tuks aplenty!!! That's putting it mildly! You will get offers called at you through the bus windows before you even leave your seat. As soon as you step off the coach, you'll have half a dozen people who will "claim" you as theirs, and they will grab your bags as the driver unloads them, with or without your approval, and start loading them onto their vehicle. If you say "no, thanks", the next person in the melee will offer the same service at a lower price, until you eventually say "yes". Then you'll find that you don't need to transfer your bags to the successful bidder's tuk-tuk, because they're all in cahoots, anyway! Honestly, it's better than a three-ring circus! Just watch the prices tumble to about 10% of the original asking price, down to ridiculous levels that wouldn't even convert to as much as fifty cents!

I don't know where the hotel you have chosen is, but, yes, it's too far from town to walk. If it was out near the bus station, you wouldn't want to stay there, I promise you!

Oh, by the way, if you think that the quoted price for the trip in the tuk-tuk is just too good to be true, then it will be. We accepted some idiotic price that equated to around 40 cents for the four of us (!), and started on our merry way. Our driver then informed us that he would be our guide for as long as we stayed there, at twenty dollars a day. We said no, thank you, we don't want a guide, whereupon he dropped the price to fifteen dollars a day. We still said no, that all we wanted him for was to take us to our hotel, whereupon he informed us that unless we hired him as a guide, the price for that journey had suddenly gone up to three dollars. I told him that life just didn't work that way, and that the offered price was the price we would be paying. He stopped abruptly, put us out on the side of the road, and did a swift u-turn back towards the bus station to see if there were any more-co-operative tourists still left!

Of course, he had a couple of mates, also in tuk-tuks, watching the whole scene, and within five seconds one had come up and asked us what we wanted (as if he didn't know!). When we told him we had offered the first guy a set sum, the new man said, "Get in, I'll do it", and within three minutes he had told us that HE would now be our guide, and that his price was fifteen dollars a day. To cut a long story short, this second ride lasted a full three hundred metres, if that, before we were thrown out onto the side of the road AGAIN!

The thirs person who came up (who had been watching the whole thing -- we felt like actors in a play where we were the only ones who didn't havce a script in front of us) eventually decided that the originally-offered sum was better than nothing (even though he tried to talk us into hiring him also, but you could see that his hear wasn't in it), so he took us to our hotel, we paid the amount twe had originally agreed to, and didn't have to hire a guide we didn't want. Honestly, it was the funniest entry to a new town I have ever had!

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Alan - Thanks for that info, brilliant - nice story! We'll get ourselves prepared for the chaos & bag grabbing!

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

No, def not a walk.

If you're staying at that incredibly swanky hotel, i'm surprised they don't offer you a free pick up, as even the small cheap places do!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Hi Rodelite,

Do not let anybody grab your luggage. Take Tuk Tuk and pay not more than 2 USD.

The best way is ask Hotel Delapix to pick you up from the Bus station.

california
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

For the price you are paying, the hotel will charter an elephant to bring you to their door steps.

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

Thankfully the hotel did not 'charter us an elephant', no that would just have been ostentatious don't you think...?

california
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

What the heck. You only love once. Live it up!!

8. Re: Bus Station to Hotel De La Paix - Walk, Taxi, Tuktuk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 16, 2009