We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having dinner with a local family

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Having dinner with a local family

I don't know if this is even possible or if you have to wait to be invited by a guide etc.

But, does anyone know the cost associated with this?

We, myself and my 16 year old son, would love to have this experience. Perhaps helping buy the food, helping cook and prepare the food then sharing the dinner with the local family.

What would be an appropriate amount to offer them to have us for dinner - would $10US or $20US or $30US be appropriate, I'm not sure. I would like to see money going to help and support a local family with children.

I would love to hear of people's experiences regarding this.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Hi Aussiegirl,

I have no experience with what you are after but a story which may interest you.

when we visited SR the second time in April 2010, we wanted to go out for dinner with our driver & meet his family (we had used this fellow on our first trip had become firm friends and are actually still in touch, used him on 3rd trip as well, and will do so again no doubt)

Given that eating in somewhere like a 'restaurant' was usually out of his budget my several miles, we suggested we might take the family to Pub St or somewhere similar. He was obviously uncomfortable about this and suggested we went to a 'Khmer BBQ place' where the locals eat.

We're game for most things so we agreed and he took us out of town a bit to this huge area - footy field & bigger - roads were lined with stalls selling all manner of things - some did rice, others green mango salad, others were drink stalls, others were various bbq stands (beef, chicken, frog, bird (!??)and more) You just buy from whatever vendor and find some mat space. It was kinda neat actually. On our way home we stopped in town for ice cream - it turns out his (then)9 yr old daughter had never tasted ice cream so it was a night of new experiences all round.

I suspect many guides/drivers don't have people 'home' because of their living circumstances - our friend rents a single room (wife & 2 children including a newborn) in a 10 room 'house' and the kitchen area is shared between all households - those with their 'own house' may be more amenable to something like this.

Whatever you end up doing I am sure you'll have a blast.

cheers

helen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Hey Helen,

What a lovely reply! I hadn't thought of doing the reverse, having them come to us for dinner, what a brilliant idea! How lovely for the little girl to have ice-cream.

I may be totally wrong but the meal you speak of, is that the Khmer picnic I have heard about (don't you just love TripAdvisor) out on 60 Road? Apparently a 'picnic' area by the road and carnival - ferris wheel etc.

Thank you for your response, your story was of great interest to me and what a lovely person you are to offer such a nice outing that the family may not normally get the opportunity to do!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having dinner with a local family

That's the one, though the ferris wheel wasn't there when we went, just some a couple of kids swing rides & some balloon darts.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having dinner with a local family

I have also done something similar as to what Helen has done with the driver and his family that I have become close with over the years. And I can tell you its an amazing experience. One night we went to the local fun fair and had pizza and ice cream (if you want, you can read about that on my weblog …wordpress.com/2010/… ), one time we went to one of the buffet dinner Apsara dance places which the kids also loved since they all learn a bit about Apsara dance and their mother used to dance (photos: https:/…FarewellDinner ). But I've also had many meals at this family's home and that is also amazing cuz the food is so great and the atmosphere is fun, and we've done picnics at West Baray or Phnom Kulen with home made food which is also so much fun.

Anything like this is a very worthwhile experience for all involved!

Edited: 11:11 am, February 01, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Wow, lennybruce, thank you! So excited to hear your contribution to my post. I am a little in awe of you if you don't mind me saying.

I have been reading these forums for a little while now and try to get as much info from previous posts so as not to annoy people by asking the same questions over and over! I have loved reading your contributions, so thank you for all the advice that you didn't know you had given me lol!

I was actually, when I get my itinerary sorted, going to Private message you if you didn't mind to ask you a couple of things.

Oh, and I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree that tourists shouldn't be stingy about what may equate to 50c. Bargaining is fine, but for the sake of a few cents, that's just mean! A few extra dollars to them means so much and is nothing to us.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having dinner with a local family

The photos of the picnic/fair look great - I know my son is 16 years old but I'm hoping it will be fun for him.

Ok, off to read more of your blog etc

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having dinner with a local family

lennybruce, is there certain nights this fair is on?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Hi Aussiegirl, Thank you very much for your kind words and I am glad my experiences have been helpful. Feel free to private message anytime. We all love helping out first time travelers to the wonderful Cambodia. I believe it is normally on every night but I don't know if something like the fair has been impacted by the mourning and funeral period for the King which I believe ends on February 6 or 7. Locals? Input?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Oh, by the way, we won't be in Cambodia until December. I'm just doing as much research as I can now to maximise our stay.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having dinner with a local family

Hi Aussiegirl

I've sent you a PM.