We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone carving shops

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stone carving shops

Hello,

Where are some of the shops in Siem Reap that offer high quality stone carvings beside Artisans Angkor? Is there a village that specialize in stone carvings?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone carving shops

NONE and I repeat none of the stone carvers within Cambodia come close to the quality of those at Artisan d'Angkor.

If you want a quality carving then buy it from Artisans.

After all, the shipping and insurance costs are going to be the same. And Artisans provides a complete shipping and documentation service unlike many local and roadside carvers.

Go to Artisans and speak to my friends Ms Sok Hour or Mr. Sok (Only one name) and ask to look at both floor stock and reserve collection stock. Then buy and ship from/through Artisans.

Best regards. Ian

Orange
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone carving shops

Angkorlad, thank you for the information. I will contact Mr. Sok regarding purchasing carving pieces. Best regards.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone carving shops

Its' Ms. Sok Hour who is the Artisans Siem Reap Showroom Manager and she is multi-lingual. But either Ms. Sok Hour or Mr. Sok will look after you very well indeed if you are serious about purchasing a major carved stone piece.

Their shipping documentation process is very well organised and takes remarkably little time as I know from personal experience. And their shipping costs are quite modest.

Your real costs, however, start at the port of arrival in Australia. Best to use a Licenced Customs Agent unless you are personally very experienced in the clearance procedures involved.If you do not have your own Customs Agent then the Shipping Line will nominate their own to you.

Best regards. Ian

Orange
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone carving shops

Ian,

Thanks again for the information. I am interested in a nice stone bass relief.

I visited Siem Reap a few years back and did not make the purchase.

I saw the work at Artisans d'Angkor as well as at another place in some village which I don't know the name which produced similar pieces and quality for less prices. I am coming back this year and want to look for a nice quality piece. You mentioned about the shipping and documentation, which

I must determined if it's reliable and worth the savings compare to buying at Artisans.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone carving shops

As always - it is the buyer's decision.

Good luck and best regards. Ian

6. Re: Stone carving shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 16, 2014