We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

Budapest
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

AVOID Gold VIP Transport Service, don't buy a ticket from these scammers!

I did a terrible mistake and bought a ticket from the to a sleeping bus from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville. They advertised their buses as amazing VIP buses with great sleeping beds and extra services like free Wifi, free water and so on.

Once I got the bus it turned out that I (as well as all the other passangers) was scammed. The bus was NOT a sleeping bus at all. We tried to complain but Gold VIP guys didn't care that at all and suddenly they didn't understand English anymore. It also turned out that they don't provide their "extra services", none of them. The only "service" was that we were forced to watch (or at least listen on maximum volume) some soup oper in kmehr language.

But the worst came just after that: it turned out that the bus was NOT a direct bus to Sihanoukville as it was advertised but we had to change our bus two times, both of the times waiting 2-3 hours. So finally the whole trip took 15 hours (instead of 10) and we had to spend this amount of time in 3 different smelly, dirty and overcrowded buses, in one case without air condition.

1. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:21 pm, January 01, 2013
Edited: 11:21 pm, January 01, 2013
Budaörs, Pest...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

Yes... It was really and this is true.

Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

Just remember that if an offer seems to be o good to be true, it usually is :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

It's a good idea to get recommendations for buses here on TA before you arrive.

Budapest
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

It didn't look too good to be true. Price was just normal.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

My Nieces boyfriend had the same experience 3 weeks ago with a VIP sleeper bus from SR to Bangkok, they bought their ticket via their Guest House and it was not as they were told or had seen in the flyers. At the border they were hurdled into a mini bus with their luggage on their laps and not enough room.

Even checking out bus's on Tripadvisor does'nt offer protection, if someone has some ways to avoid this, pass it on.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

the best way to from siem reap to bkk by road is a taxi to the border and than the bus from border to bkk. the cost of a taxi is $25 or there abouts for the whole car or $8 per seat for a shared taxi.some travel agents around pub street area advertise shared taxis.personnaly i just get the taxi and forget about it.that way you can stop where you want.i tell the driver he can stop and pick up khmers along the way but no more than 3 in the back seat,that way i can learn a bit about there local village or at least practice my khmer or they practice there english,as i ride in the front i also insist on a left hand drive car.gives me a better sense of road safety

sydney
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

Paul,

In '08 or '09 I organised a share taxi from Poipet to SR. Did my research (as I always do) prior to travel. $60 for a taxi was the common best price which is what we ( I met 2 Norwegians) paid.

You have stated $25 from SR to Poipet. Is it cheaper now because the road has since become fully paved therefore less travel time etc? Just interested because the difference in price is substantial.

Appreciate your advice. Cheers

sydney
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

Paul,

Just read another thread re taxis from Poipet to SR. $25 was also quoted. Although I was confused regarding comments about the taxi mafia and taxis with a tourist licence. However, still hope you can enlighten me re my query about the decrease in price.

10. Re: AVOID Gold VIP bus scammers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:49 am, January 29, 2014
Edited: 6:49 am, January 29, 2014