We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Ontario
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Hey All!

I have been reading through posts and am trying to decide whether I should try to arrange for a tuk tuk (or car?) before we get to Siem Reap, or if it would be easy enough to find someone when we arrive at the airport.

We will be flying in from Bangkok and arriving at 9am - we just want to drop our bags off at our hotel and hit the group running. I know we can book a car or tuk tuk through our hotel, but they definitely have a surcharge for hiring through them and I would rather give a good driver a nice tip at the end of the day than have the money go to the hotel.

Is it easy enough to find a tuktuk for the day - or would you all recommend booking something in advance? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

What you propose is easy enough and done by many visitors to the Siem Reap/Angkor Region.

On exiting the airport just be sure to speak to several tuk-tuk drivers before deciding which one to use and only take that person on a day-by-day basis in case you wish to change to another tuk-tuk driver.

By the way, many guesthouses do not take any commission or add any on-charge for providing you with either a driver or tuk-tuk operator that is well known to them. And even if they did do so, that person is well known to them from feedback from previous clients. Whereas, picking blindly on arrival is something of a lottery, hence the caveat of ...One day at a time...

But if you want a very good tuk-tuk operator them please phone/sms my regular driver, Mr. KHATH Tola. You will not be dissapointed with Tola. International Call/Text/SMS +855 97 248 7022 or within Cambodia 097 248 7022

In fact, he is authorised to operate from within the Siem Reap Airport and can be waiting for you on arrival if pre-arranged.

Sorry, but i will not put his email on forum but please PM (Private Message) me if you want it.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

I live in Siem Reap and am very familiar with tuk tuks in SR.

There are plenty of tuk tuks in Siem Reap, even in the high season. If all you are doing is hiring a tuk tuk then you will do better to negotiate once you get here. Your prices will end up being a little better and you will leave yourself the flexibility of changing plans at the last minute. Additionally, if you decide to tour some of the more far flung sites then you will end up needing a car (about 25 USD per day) instead of a tuk tuk. If you use a tour guide (highly recommended at about 25 USD per day) then the tour guide can set up transportation for you and you will get the best cost.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

I must be missing something. There are no tuktuk drivers waiting for fares at the airport are there? I mean they are out on the road, but not right there as you exit. It's cars and motobikes and vans.

PS Ian is right, not all guesthouses take commission from drivers and a driver's association with a guesthouse normally means you're free of the worry of being scammed by one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Hello ellenem,

There is a small group of tuk-tuk drivers authorised to accept fares at the arrivals terminal exit. Not quite sure how this works or who regulates this but Mr. KHATH Tola is one of this small group.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Interesting. Is that a new thing? I go in and out of there fairly often and always irritating that I have to manage my luggage on a motobike or waste $ on a car. I always tell the man at the desk I want a tuktuk, they always tell me "no tuktuks here".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Hello ellenem,

Why not give Tola a call and ask him how it works?

KHATH Tola HP 097 248 7022

Best regards. Ian

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

Hi,

The drivers working from inside the airport have to belong to the airport taxi association which gives them the right to get exclusive access to arriving customers. They can either rent a place (about $1200 a year) or buy a lifelike membership if someone is prepared to sell theirs (we are talking 1000s of $ for that). On top they pay a monthly fee to the association which gives them a radio and free access and parking while waiting for customers. They then have a rota system which determines when their 'turn' comes up and is relayed on the radio.

Given the cost and the fact that most arriving pax have luggage most drivers use a car for airport work. Many also have tuk tuks but unless you know the driver and prearranged it's unlikely to find a tuk tuk inside the airport.

Do bear in mind when your airport driver tries to sell you additional days sightseeing trips with him that he has taken a considerable financial risk to get this access to you and currently in high season their 'turn' comes around about 4 times a week, so he is reliant on extra days touring.

Cheers

8. Re: Hiring a tuk tuk for touring at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 24, 2013