We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

We just wasted an hour going to and from Angkor Wat on our first day in Cambodia. The guide our hotel arranged for us did not speak any English whatsoever and we asked to turn around and go back to the hotel. Now the hotel says they'll "try their best" to find an English speaking guide but its difficult in the busy season. I had heard from multiple sources including the hotel that finding a guide on arrival is not a problem.

Just a warning to others. I wish I had booked a guide recommended here in advance.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

there are guides everywhere,i am in siem reap now and its not even busy yet:)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,794 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

I have never heard of that before... most hotels have a list of guides (and drivers) they use. Seems your hotel is not on top of this issue. How much notice did you give your hotel that you wanted them to organise this for you?

Edited: 1:35 am, November 26, 2012
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

That is not a good deal to find English speaking guide during this peak season on arrival ( signed out ). Since this year there are a lot of multi international visitors and most popular guides or who can communicate in Enlish already booked by tour agencies, tour operators and famous hotels here. More travelers coming here through tour groups or buses more than independ travelers indeed so most guides are already hired. Some English guides they eascort more Rusian, Thai tourists or Korean because those were surplus and not enough guides who speak those languages.

Tour guides who able to find at this last minute peak season are just some of people who do other jobs than tour guide' s job like vendors at markets or work for NGO and they are off job during this holiday.

Siem Reap
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

I have had trouble booking guides in the last week, tried around 15 guides for a customer today but no luck. Sure, there are thousands of guides BUT the good guides are generally booked in advance.

I run guesthouse business in Siem Reap, and sometimes even the good places can not find you a guide at the last minute. Also, some of the better will not just get you any guide, they will only recommend guides that they know are good.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

If you hire a tuktuk driver he'll know an English speaking guide, thay all do and before you hire him you can test out his English, we found that not only the guides speak English but also all the tuk tuk drivers do.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

You can find english tour guide everywhere. You can ask hotel to book one for you and they can also book taxi too. It is easier and safer that way.

7. Re: So it IS a problem to find English speaking guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 17, 2013