We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Hi all we are traveling from Australia with our kids 10 and 13 in July next year. We are flying to SR then will travel to Bangkok. We will hire a taxi to get from SR to the Thai border but once we cross is it hard to get a taxi or prefer a 7 or 8 seater van to take us to Bangkok. Should we try and pre book one and if so with who or will be ones on the Thai side we can hire once we get there. Sorry if this has been asked I just could not find this info that I needed. Thanks Sam

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Hi Sam

We recently did the same trip, drove to Poipet, crossed through the border crossing (slightly disorganised that was)...

We had prebooked a car to take us to Bangkok with Oriental Escape.. Thoroughly recommend that, it is so easy and safe in the knowledge someone is waiting outside Immigration.

Our driver was a F1 driver wannabe, and it only took 3 hours to centre of Bangkok..

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Thank u very much for that i will contact them.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
901 posts
997 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

I've hired a tour agency (Derleng Tours) to take my family from our hotel in Siem Reap to our hotel in Bangkok. At $110 all in for 4, it seemed like a reasonable option given the border rigmarole and lack of easy, high-quality thru public transport.. Looks like there's no visa fee for Americans crossing into Thailand. Sweet! Sometimes the visa fees in developing countries can be quite steep.

…usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americ…

Mentioned in this post
Derleng Tours
Derleng Tours
122 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

You can find minivan from border to Bangkok (Victory Monument) but as recommended in previous post about pre-booking is better. I just give another option for you to look at.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

easy,taxi from siem reap to border,cost $20 cross border,go to bus station and bus to bbk about $10

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
901 posts
997 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

I've recently completed this trip via private car as I discussed above. It's not a great trip due to it's length and the inefficiency of the Thai gov't in processing visitors at the border. It took us an hour and a half to clear Customs into Thailand even though there were just a few dozen foreigners there. Total travel time from Siem Reap to Bangkok by private cars was over 7 hours. But since the airfare is so high between these cities, I'm not sure there's a better option. I do understand that a thru bus service has been initiated in just the past couple of weeks at $25/person. It would be interesting to hear reports about this service. For a family, though, hiring your own car would still seem to be a much better option. And, if you can economically do so, I'd also highly recommend flying into or out of the Siem Reap airport in one direction so you don't have to do this tedious daytime land crossing in both directions.

Edited: 11:12 pm, January 07, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Thanks so much Dave we actually fly in to SR from Austraia via Singapore so will have to only do one way. I would love to fly but at around $750 for the four of us I can not justify that. I know it will be a long day and a bit yuck but I think for that money we will just have to do it. Will try and book a car with a travel agent when we get there I think, thanks again

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

bjml9901

You can avoid all of this if you want by traveling on to Phnom Penh.

From Phnom Penh a $50 flight with AirAsia will have you in Bangkok in one hour.

The benefit here is that you'll recive a 30 day visa exemption rather than the, 15 day enter by land exemption you'll get at Poipet.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

Why not have a night or two in Aranyapraphet after you've crossed the border.

Then get the morning 3rd Class train back to BKK. I'm sure your children would enjoy the train.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi SR to Thai border but then what

thanks agaiin, feel that driving to PP we might as well drive to Bangkok as not much longer but thanks for the suggstion. Is there any way of getting more than 15 day visa if coming by land as we would be in thailand from a Friday to Friday 2 weeks later which would be exactly 15 days, but if decided to go one or two days earlier and stay at Aranyapraphet we would be over the 1 days.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand