We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabric, zips etc

Uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fabric, zips etc

Hi,

Can anyone advise me where to buy best quality fabric and zips etc?

Which Market should I head to for good quality zips, cotton/elastane, waterproof cotton, wool fabric?

Many thanks guys, I have hubby in tow so can't be trawling around too much!!

Angela

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabric, zips etc

your fabric choices will be limited to what Khmers make use of, so unlikely you;ll find much more than nasty polyester (cheap and not always very cheerful), some cotton (quality varies) and silk (large variation in quality & price) - almost certainly no waterproof cotton or wool.

do not recall seeing anywhere selling zips & other notions though they must be around somewhere because there are a number of dressmakers.

check out this recent thread for info on buying silk tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297390-i9163-k…

You may find some of this in the Russian market in PP

Zipper quality in SE Asia is not the same as you will find at home either

cheers

helen

Uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabric, zips etc

Hi Helen,

Many thanks for that info, which will please hubby for sure!

I have noticed that the zips are very poor quality but was still hopeful. Guess you just don't realise how lucky we are at home with the high standards of our sewing notions and fabric.

Cheers!

Angela

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabric, zips etc

Hi again Angela

Go to the Russian market in PP - send him off to explore on his own - he could easily wile away a couple of hours - they sell everything there! That way you get to go on a fabric hunt without him h'rumping in the background (he's probably too old to be doing the teen *eye rolls* anymore!)

helen

Uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabric, zips etc

Great plan Helen, are you speaking from experience lol

Angela

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabric, zips etc

I certainly am!

6. Re: Fabric, zips etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 16, 2013