We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

Planning a last minute trip to SE Asia. Hoping for a two week trip, the last several days of which I will be travelling alone (single female). In thailand, I'm interested in Chiang Mai and floating market (Bangkok) for sure. Not a big shopper, but enjoy nature/beaches, temples, and LOVE thai food and tropical fruit. In addition, I'm looking forward to some good massages ;). I am open to adventures, but admit I have a bad shoulder so canoeing/kayaking is out but otherwise I'm open. My question is do I have room for Siem Reap in this length itinerary or should I go to some island/phuket/etc in Thailand. I am considering a multicity itinerary (i.e. fly into siem reap and fly out of chiang mai or vice versa). If I do that, would it be better to start or end with Siem reap? I will also post a similar question in thai forums.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

I tend to think your itinerary and the places you'd be happier to visit depends very much on your interests.

Firstly I think that you'd be completely safe travelling solo, providing of course that you use the usual precautions. Secondly, as you're coming such a very long way from Miami, it would be a great shame to miss Siem Reap. It's a fascinating place which if you're interested in history, will leave you spellbound. My thoughts are that we can all go to beaches any time all over the world, but to miss the opportunity to see one of the great wonders of south east asia would be a shame.

Perhaps you could visit Bangkok, fly to Chiang Mai for a day or two then to Siem Reap and return to Bangkok from there. Just a thought.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

Thanks for your suggestions. Which part do you think would be better solo?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
293 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

We recently did five nights in Bangkok and five in Siem Reap. The perfect mix as far as I was concerned!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Siem Reap are all wonderful places and perfectly safe to visit alone, providing of course that you exercise the normal precautions you would either at home or while travelling.

It's a good idea to have a look at the posts about scams and that sort of thing before you set off as pre-warned is always pre-armed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

Sorry, to be different, but with only 2 weeks I would spend it in Thailand.

By the time you get to airports and then to hotels you 2 weeks are going to be chewed up.

There is plenty to do in BKK to amuse you.

6. Re: Thailand +/- Siem Reap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 16, 2013